• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contracts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AprilChr

For Christmas, I wanted to have my Fiance's pendent fixed. I went to a jeweler and they said they could custom make it. I went ahead and filled out all the paperwork, and signed contracts regarding the making of the wax in order to proceed with the making of the pendent. In one form I signed, it mentioned something about 20% due after the wax had been done. In less than 24 hours later, I called and notified them to cancel the work due to outrageous prices and consultation with my fiance. When I talked to the salesperson, I was told that since the wax mold had already been started, then they had to charge me the 20%. My question is that since I notified them before 24 hours, am I still responsible for the 20%? My whole experience at this store had been very unpleasant and I get the feeling that they started the wax after I left my notification. Please help?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

AprilChr said:
For Christmas, I wanted to have my Fiance's pendent fixed. I went to a jeweler and they said they could custom make it. I went ahead and filled out all the paperwork, and signed contracts regarding the making of the wax in order to proceed with the making of the pendent. In one form I signed, it mentioned something about 20% due after the wax had been done. In less than 24 hours later, I called and notified them to cancel the work due to outrageous prices and consultation with my fiance. When I talked to the salesperson, I was told that since the wax mold had already been started, then they had to charge me the 20%. My question is that since I notified them before 24 hours, am I still responsible for the 20%? My whole experience at this store had been very unpleasant and I get the feeling that they started the wax after I left my notification. Please help?
My response:

Regardless, you signed a contract. Unless you signed the contract in your home, you do not have a 3-day Cooling Off period. If they say they started the mold, then it's up to you to prove otherwise.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">