• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cook County Wheel Tax Violation (received in mail, not cited by police officer)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

b_abc123

I received three violations (Cook County Wheel Tax section 74-552) in the mail, as did everyone else I know in unicorporated Cook County for the cars they have without stickers. Of the cars in violation, one was sold six months ago, another has never left my garage.

My understanding was a police officer can ticket a vehicle for not displaying the appropriate sticker. Is the county allowed to send violations in the mail without even seeing the vehicle? This has never happened before and imagine tens of thousands of people received these notices...

Should I just pay or is this not right?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What did the kind folks at Cook County say when you asked about the vehicle you no longer own and about the vehicle that does not enter the public roads?

I suspect you're going to end up paying for one, not paying for one, and having to prove that you sold one before you're off the hook.

xylene

Should I just pay
You must pay for the vehicle that is in your garage. Not using the vehicle is not a listed exemption from the wheel tax, and even if you were exempt you would need an 'exempt' sticker.

You do owe the wheel tax for the vehicle you sold as well, since you never paid it.

This has never happened before and imagine tens of thousands of people received these notices...
They are revenue hungry.

Please look to the fiscal crisis in your county and state, the politcal malfeasance and incompetence behind it and consider to changing your voting pattern or moving from the area.

b_abc123

What did the kind folks at Cook County say when you asked about the vehicle you no longer own and about the vehicle that does not enter the public roads?

I suspect you're going to end up paying for one, not paying for one, and having to prove that you sold one before you're off the hook.
Have not made contact yet. My options according to the violations are to pay the sticker, late fee, and fine or show up to the administrative hearing on the date and time provided.

LdiJ

I received three violations (Cook County Wheel Tax section 74-552) in the mail, as did everyone else I know in unicorporated Cook County for the cars they have without stickers. Of the cars in violation, one was sold six months ago, another has never left my garage.

My understanding was a police officer can ticket a vehicle for not displaying the appropriate sticker. Is the county allowed to send violations in the mail without even seeing the vehicle? This has never happened before and imagine tens of thousands of people received these notices...

Should I just pay or is this not right?
You should probably go down there in person. You definitely do not want to pay it on a car you no longer own, that would just cause confusion. You also shouldn't have to pay it on a car that is stored in your garage and not used.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You should probably go down there in person. You definitely do not want to pay it on a car you no longer own, that would just cause confusion. You also shouldn't have to pay it on a car that is stored in your garage and not used.

The tax was due last July. The OP owned it when the tax was due. The OP needs to pay it. There is no exception for the garaged vehicle either. As I said above, xylene was spot-on.

LdiJ

The tax was due last July. The OP owned it when the tax was due. The OP needs to pay it. There is no exception for the garaged vehicle either. As I said above, xylene was spot-on.
Where did you get that it was due last July? I must be missing something.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Where did you get that it was due last July? I must be missing something.
Probably because Zig looked up a source, perhaps something like Cook County Government Website

The Wheel Tax is to be paid and the decal affixed by July 1st of every year. They can't be issuing violations for July 1, 2018 - June 30, 2019 yet, so Zig has logically deduced that the violation is for the July 1, 2017 - June 30, 2018 time period.

PayrollHRGuy

I can see how some one could read the first paragraph on the site linked that the car had to be operated to be taxable.

Section 74-552 of the Cook County Wheel Tax Ordinance requires a Cook County Vehicle License for all motor vehicles owned and operated by a person who resides within unincorporated Cook County.
The actual law is much clearer on the issue.

§ 74-552. License requirement
  • It shall be unlawful for any motor vehicle owner residing within the unincorporated area of Cook County to own, possess, use, or to cause or permit any of his agents, employees, lessees, or bailees to use any motor vehicle upon the unincorporated area of Cook County, unless such vehicle be licensed as hereinafter provided.​
(Ord. No. 09-O-16, 3-4-2009.)

The actual law is much clearer on the issue.

b_abc123

According to the way the law is written, if I own a vehicle registered to my company address in another town (this vehicle is driven by an employee who does not live in unincorporated cook county) and am compliant with the vehicle stick license in that specific town (i.e. no sticker required) I must still purchase a cook county sticker because I live in unincorporated cook county. Am I correct with my understanding?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">