• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cop dad beat me with in inches of my life

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Virginia
My dad would come from work (Richmond Police officer) and take out his days frustrations on me. I was 7 when it started. It started with his belt by leaving whelps on my whole body almost daily. Was handcuffed to basement pole, then beat with his slapjack. (A strip of leather with a lead weight sewed in to the end.) Leaving bruised marks and whelps in my head, back, arm, legs... then leave me collapsed in the floor and turn out the lights. If I made a sound I'd get it again. To this day I remember it like it just happened. What the limitations on this? Could I sue him? I'm quite sure my mother brought up charges against him but where dropped because he was a cop. I saw him about ten years ago at a restaurant with my wife, and nearly got sick to my stomach. We left and he followed us out. We got in car and left.

Just Blue

My dad would come from work (Richmond Police officer) and take out his days frustrations on me. I was 7 when it started. It started with his belt by leaving whelps on my whole body almost daily. Was handcuffed to basement pole, then beat with his slapjack. (A strip of leather with a lead weight sewed in to the end.) Leaving bruised marks and whelps in my head, back, arm, legs... then leave me collapsed in the floor and turn out the lights. If I made a sound I'd get it again. To this day I remember it like it just happened. What the limitations on this? Could I sue him? I'm quite sure my mother brought up charges against him but where dropped because he was a cop. I saw him about ten years ago at a restaurant with my wife, and nearly got sick to my stomach. We left and he followed us out. We got in car and left.
When was the last instance of abuse? How old were you? How old are you now?

LdiJ

I am truly sorry to tell you that if you were a married adult 10 years ago that the statute of limitations has passed. It's too late for your father to be prosecuted for the crime he committed.

Just Blue

I figured it had. No trauma, a few scars, and the knowing he will never see the pearly gates for his actions.
I was referring to emotional trauma. That you got sick just by seeing him indicates there is a lot unresolved from that horrible time.

And yes. If there is a Hell he will surely burn there.

There is the fact that the Richmond Police department could be held accountable for not taking the proper coarse of action when it was originally reported. Instead of looking the other way, and let it continue on.

LdiJ

There is the fact that the Richmond Police department could be held accountable for not taking the proper coarse of action when it was originally reported. Instead of looking the other way, and let it continue on.
Its too late for that as well. That was about 40 years ago based on your age now. There is nobody there now who was there when your father was on the force.

Just Blue

Sadly back in the 70's unless you killed your wife/child...nothing was done about abuse. :(

Go figure. He's in his 70s now. A weak old man, kind of like I was a weak little boy. Sure would of been a nice "slap in the face", at his age now. I would have loved to seen the look on his face. (Now that's what I call therapy) well, thanks for all your info. I still may look into it a little more in depth.

LdiJ

Go figure. He's in his 70s now. A weak old man, kind of like I was a weak little boy. Sure would of been a nice "slap in the face", at his age now. I would have loved to seen the look on his face. (Now that's what I call therapy) well, thanks for all your info. I still may look into it a little more in depth.
You can certainly get a consult with a local attorney to get their take on the matter. I just do not want you to get your hopes up when its not realistic. Also, while I understand your desire to strike out at him its really not in your best interest. God will judge him and that should be enough for you. You have lived a good life.

That sounds absolutely horrible! looking for options to resolve your past is a good start for emotional recovery. Unfortunately the limitations has passed. Never feel alone -sending love and hope!

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Sadly back in the 70's unless you killed your wife/child...nothing was done about abuse. :(
Apparently out here on Long Island you could even do the killing part. (cf the Gone series in Suffolk Times. They've just solved a 50 year old missing persons case... Found the cop's girlfriend's body buried in the basement with 3 bullets. The cop's wife knew about it but had credible reason to believe he would put her in the basement "next to that other b*****" if she told anyone.)

Just Blue

Apparently out here on Long Island you could even do the killing part. (cf the Gone series in Suffolk Times. They've just solved a 50 year old missing persons case... Found the cop's girlfriend's body buried in the basement with 3 bullets. The cop's wife knew about it but had credible reason to believe he would put her in the basement "next to that other b*****" if she told anyone.)
Christ! That's terrible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">