• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copying a template.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asiny

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Different states.

We all know about the Dos Equis commercials featuring The Most Interesting Man in the World (if not, hit YouTube).

Here is the question: What would the legality be of taking that template and copying it for a PSA (public service announcement)? i.e. Perhaps changing it to 'the most amazing man in Chicago and the PSA would be for people to give blood?

Thanks, in advance.

quincy

The ads are protected by both trademark rights and copyrights. I suggest you contact EuroRSCG/New York (I believe they hold the rights) for written permission before using a similar idea for your own ads. If their "Most Interesting Man in the World" ad campaign is ending or has ended, they may be more open to allowing a use of their material or similar material for a PSA.

A review by an IP attorney of a proposed ad, or contact with a rights-holder, is always advisable when contemplating using the same or a similar idea yourself. While ideas themselves are not copyrightable, the particular expression of the idea is protectable.

It is probably the way the idea of "the most interesting man" has been expressed in the Dos Equis ads that has attracted you to the ads in the first place. The particular phrases from the ads are clever, popular and, also, closely identified with the Dos Equis brand.

The ads, by the way, are among my favorites. :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">