• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright infringement notice from Comcast. What will happen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blutausnord

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

Hello - I recently got two email from Comcast about copyright infringement for two movies. Then today, I got another one (although it didnt even list a name of what was downloaded).

It turns out someone in my household was downloading things using a filesharing site. Ive deleted the program, changed the password to my wifi, and deleted the movies downloaded.

I called Comcast and they basically didnt seem to care. They just told me to stop and thats it.

But my question is, what will happen next? Will I be arrested? Will the copyright holder try and go after me? The company listed in the first 2 was CEG TEK. In the 3rd one, there was no company listed.

Am I going to jail? Please help.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

Hello - I recently got two email from Comcast about copyright infringement for two movies. Then today, I got another one (although it didnt even list a name of what was downloaded).

It turns out someone in my household was downloading things using a filesharing site. Ive deleted the program, changed the password to my wifi, and deleted the movies downloaded.

I called Comcast and they basically didnt seem to care. They just told me to stop and thats it.

But my question is, what will happen next? Will I be arrested? Will the copyright holder try and go after me? The company listed in the first 2 was CEG TEK. In the 3rd one, there was no company listed.

Am I going to jail? Please help.
What will happen next? Possibly nothing. And you definitely will not be going to jail.

Comcast has provided you with the notice they received from CEG TEK. The illegal downloads of movies owned by CEG TEK were tracked to you. But, if you were not advised by Comcast of any subpoena served on Comcast by CEG TEK, seeking your account information (identity), then you are probably not going to receive a demand for money or be sued for infringement.

If you deleted the infringing movies and if you have let those in your household know that they must NEVER illegally download or illegally share any copyright-protected movies again, you have done all you can do at this point. Additional downloads can lead to termination of your Comcast service and a possible demand from CEG TEK for X amount of dollars to compensate them for the movies, and potentially a lawsuit.

You will only want to seek the advice of an attorney in your area if Comcast notifies you they have been served with a court order, ordering them to release your identity. You will want, at that time, to respond to the order - and an attorney can advise you how best to respond after a review of the facts of your downloads.

Again, you will NOT be going to jail. The most that can happen is that you will be responsible for compensating CEG TEK for the infringement on their rights - but it doesn't sound like that is the direction this is taking for you.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">