• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright Infringement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Two years ago I purchased a clip art CD collection. I carefully reviewed the copyright and users agreement before going with this program. There were no restrictions or limitations on use as long as it was not for commercial purposes or the clip art was not packaged and resold in another application. Now, after spending 2 years creating my personal site, I was notified by a company saying the images on my site were subject to copyright infringement. Apparently, they had sold their clip art to be packaged in this clip art program (the one I purchased). I also have another version of the same clip art software that I use at my work. This newer version does state that it shouldn't be used electronically unless certain criteria are met. My personal site meets all of the criteria listed. What can I do? To remove the pieces would mean disassembling 2 years worth of work. I would not have used the clip art in the first place if there were restrictions, in fact, CD's in the collection are labeled as Web Graphics and are full of buttons, animations and background images specifically for the web. I can't even imagine having to start from ground zero again as I have been so careful about copyrights. What can I do?


Senior Member
3 choices --

1. Tell them you bought the first that gave permission, not the second, and that your use is lawful and see what happens.

2. Get a lawyer to tell them that.

3. Ask them for a license -- it wil cost less than 2 years of work.

4. Take your chances

This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential