• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyrights & Trademarks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NormanCR

What is the name of your state? Michigan.
(I am a non US resident living in South Africa, but the book is published in Grand Rapids, Michigan).

I have a hard copy of "Susies Babies", a children's book by E Margaret Clarkson, published in 1960. I wish to make a voice recording of this book for use in our church's Family Bible Adventure. The book is copyright. Is this permissible?

quincy

What is the name of your state? Michigan.
(I am a non US resident living in South Africa, but the book is published in Grand Rapids, Michigan).

I have a hard copy of "Susies Babies", a children's book by E Margaret Clarkson, published in 1960. I wish to make a voice recording of this book for use in our church's Family Bible Adventure. The book is copyright. Is this permissible?
You will need to check the status of the copyright of "Susie's Babies."

I believe the copyright in the work was renewed which means under US copyright laws that the book (originally published in 1960) is not in the public domain and still copyright protected.

You will need to get permission from the current rights-holder(s) in order to make a voice recording of the book. Voice recordings of books are considered derivative works. Creating derivatives is one of the exclusive rights held by copyright owners.

E. Margaret Clarkson is Canadian. I believe she lived in Toronto before her death in 2008. You will want to contact her estate.

Good luck.

NormanCR

Thank you for your quick response. I have written to the publisher but there seems to be a long turnaround time for responding.

quincy

Thank you for your quick response. I have written to the publisher but there seems to be a long turnaround time for responding.
It can be a long process learning who holds what rights and contacting them all for proper permissions. And you will need to concern yourself with Canadian copyright laws as well as US copyright laws.

Good luck.

FlyingRon

Canada and the US are both Berne signatories. This gives the author in either country the rights to such derivative works. You'll need permission.

quincy

Canada and the US are both Berne signatories. This gives the author in either country the rights to such derivative works. You'll need permission.
Right. It seems clear that permission will need to be granted.

The copyright laws in Canada have some significant differences from the laws in the US, though - hence my earlier comment.

Here is a link to some differences - the duration of copyrights and moral rights: https://www.copyrightlaws.com/canadian-copyright-law-what-is-the-duration-of-copyright-in-canada

NormanCR

Hey guys! Thanks for all your input. I did request from Eerdman and to their credit they have responded quickly. However, disappointingly they have denied permission. Sad for a book of that age and for a church, but that's life.

quincy

Hey guys! Thanks for all your input. I did request from Eerdman and to their credit they have responded quickly. However, disappointingly they have denied permission. Sad for a book of that age and for a church, but that's life.
It is good that you asked for permission instead of producing the voice recording of the book first, then.

As disappointed as I am sure you are, you saved yourself from the possibility of a costly copyright infringement suit.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Did you offer them money?

NormanCR

No I never offered them money, as I do not have any to offer! I have been retired for 15 years and our small church does not have money to spare either. I would seriously doubt that there were any plans to voice record a book published in 1960 and as far as I know, out of print, unless I have given them an idea they never thought of before!
Anyway, I regard the matter as closed. it was a nice idea that didn't come to fruition. :(

quincy

No I never offered them money, as I do not have any to offer! I have been retired for 15 years and our small church does not have money to spare either. I would seriously doubt that there were any plans to voice record a book published in 1960 and as far as I know, out of print, unless I have given them an idea they never thought of before!
Anyway, I regard the matter as closed. it was a nice idea that didn't come to fruition. :(
That sometimes happens with good ideas. At least you know you followed your idea as far as it could go.

Good luck to you and your small church in South Africa.

FlyingRon

Oh, and by the way. The rights to make the audiobook are also distinct from the right to publicly perform it in the "adventure" you're planning. Even if you could have bought the book on tape by some publisher, you couldn't use it for that.

quincy

Oh, and by the way. The rights to make the audiobook are also distinct from the right to publicly perform it in the "adventure" you're planning. Even if you could have bought the book on tape by some publisher, you couldn't use it for that.
Good point. I missed that. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">