• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Costs for Legal Separaton v Dissolution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

artmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

Hi, I am new here, so I hope I post this correctly...

Is there any cost advantage in filing for/obtaining a legal separation vs getting a dissolution of marriage? Someone (not a lawyer, which is why I am posting here) has told me that the legal separation is less expensive, but from the research I have done, I am not so sure, as things like child support, division of property, etc. still need to be determined. So, if the other party fights all of those things, it could still be dragged out and become very expensive, correct?

Is there any reason a legal separation makes sense if the marriage is truly over?

Thanks in advance!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

seniorjudge

The costs are about the same.

It is a strictly personal decision whether you want a lawsuit for divorce or a lawsuit for legal separation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">