• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could this be a case of defamation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It never hurts to apply. The way I look at it, if you apply you might be approved and you might not. If you don't apply, you definitely won't.

If you apply and you're not approved, you're no worse off then if you never applied in the first place.

PayrollHRGuy

It never hurts to apply. The way I look at it, if you apply you might be approved and you might not. If you don't apply, you definitely won't.

If you apply and you're not approved, you're no worse off then if you never applied in the first place.
You know we say that a lot but it is not necessarily the case. In my state and others I've dealt with, when you are disqualified for certain reasons you are disqualified until you have met a certain work requirement. Considering that the OP seems to become unemployed more often than the norm a disqualification might well hurt.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You know we say that a lot but it is not necessarily the case. In my state and others I've dealt with, when you are disqualified for certain reasons you are disqualified until you have met a certain work requirement. Considering that the OP seems to become unemployed more often than the norm a disqualification might well hurt.
I see your point but since no one except the unemployment office can give him an ironclad yes or no as to whether he will qualify, and he can only get that by applying, he's still down to two choices; apply, or don't apply.

quincy

It could get down to how desperate tati24 is for money and how easily tati24 can find new employment.

As of today, Florida has an unemployment rate at close to 9% and 2,552,033 Floridian’s are still waiting for their unemployment benefits to be paid. Unemployment claims increased this month in Florida.

AlexNillson89

Defamation occurs when one person tells another a false statement of fact about you that damages your reputation. So if a statement of fact about you is true, that's not defamation. And if the statement is opinion rather than fact, it is also not defamation. True statements and opinion can certainly hurt your reputation, but those statements you can't do much about, at least not with any legal action.

Here the statements made about you were apparently true. You made mistakes in not submitting timely reports, etc. Since those statements are true, they are not defamatory. Your complaint is not one of defamation, but that you made the mistakes because the company did not provide you sufficient training/guidance on what you were to do. That may be true, but that's not something for which you may successfully sue. Some companies suck and just throw new employees into the fray without much training or guidance and expect you to either already know what to do or pick it up on your own. That's not illegal. Just poor management. Maybe getting fired from this job will long term prove a blessing — you may get a new job with a company that doesn't suck and be much happier.
This is the most comprehensive answer to this question. I completely agree with you. It seems to me that it is really better to find a good company and you won't get in trouble even worse in the future.

quincy

This is the most comprehensive answer to this question. I completely agree with you. It seems to me that it is really better to find a good company and you won't get in trouble even worse in the future.
This thread is from 2020.

Alex, please do not add comments or questions to old threads. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">