• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

County code enforcement fined me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Phdintheory

What is the name of your state?washington
A friend had his fifth wheel tagged as abandoned and asked if he could move it to where I live. I asked the property owner and she said yes. The trailer was moved to her property but apparently encroached on the county road. Code enforcement guy came out being a jerk. I was elected to talk to him. He have us some time to move it but we dont have a truck with a fifth wheel hitch and couldnt do it. County guy gave me a five hundred dollar ticket for encroachment. It's not my trailer, I'm not the registered owner, I'm not the property owner. He thinks the trailer is mine and wont listen to me. I asked for a hearing on the ticket. What next please

quincy

A friend had his fifth wheel tagged as abandoned and asked if he could move it to where I live. I asked the property owner and she said yes. The trailer was moved to her property but apparently encroached on the county road. Code enforcement guy came out being a jerk. I was elected to talk to him. He have us some time to move it but we dont have a truck with a fifth wheel hitch and couldnt do it. County guy gave me a five hundred dollar ticket for encroachment. It's not my trailer, I'm not the registered owner, I'm not the property owner. He thinks the trailer is mine and wont listen to me. I asked for a hearing on the ticket. What next please
Turn in your friend.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You accepted responsibility for it as it is your friend. Why haven't or didn't you call your friend and ask him to move it further on to the property?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm going to make an assumption that you are renting the property. As such, you authorized the placement of the trailer. The citation is appropriate.

Phdintheory

Can't move it dont have a truck. Even so why am I responsible there are two other that live here. I'm not property owner or registered owner of fifth wheel

quincy

Can't move it dont have a truck. Even so why am I responsible there are two other that live here. I'm not property owner or registered owner of fifth wheel
I suggest you call a tow company and have it towed off the property, so you don’t rack up more fines. You can always argue the ticket but I don’t know what sort of success you will have. If you ever locate this acquaintance of yours, you can sue him to recover your costs.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suggest you call a tow company and have it towed off the property, so you don’t rack up more fines. You can always argue the ticket but I don’t know what sort of success you will have. If you ever locate this acquaintance of yours, you can sue him to recover your costs.
It sounds like the OP could even have the tow company simply move it a few feet.

quincy

It sounds like the OP could even have the tow company simply move it a few feet.
That would work, too - if there is no ordinance that prevents such storage (which there probably is). Phdintheory should check with Code Enforcement.

quincy

How was it originally moved to the property? By the now-missing acquaintance?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">