• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CouponCabin, LLC owes me money, but their T&C may prevent me from suing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

That's the problem, isn't it? This is a company that offers their services in all 50 states and other countries. In order to resolve a dispute, you have to travel to Lake County, IN. I live relatively close, but if there's a hearing at 8 or 9 am, I probably have to travel there the night before, stay in a hotel, and then get up early to appear in court. There could be multiple hearings and a trial. Imagine trying to resolve this issue if you lived hundreds or thousands of miles away. It is virtually impossible to hold this company accountable unless you live right there, and even then you have to decide if filing paper work, paying fees (though they'd be recouped if you win) and appearing in court is all worth it for small sums of money. In order to do that, it has to be about principle more than the money. This company (and probably most companies that operate online only) can do whatever they want without having to worry about people suing them. How many other people have had their accounts terminated and money withheld? There could be hundreds or thousands of others, all with relatively small amounts of money that they determined aren't worth fighting to recover. The legal system does not offer any good solutions when it comes to resolving disputes with companies that are far away.
If you have a complaint about the business, you can file a complaint with the Indiana Attorney General's Office:

https://www.in.gov/attorneygeneral/2434.htm
When there are "hundreds or thousands of others" who have suffered the same small money damages as a result of unfair or illegal business practices, class action suits are born.

megamawax

If you have a complaint about the business, you can file a complaint with the Indiana Attorney General's Office:

https://www.in.gov/attorneygeneral/2434.htm
When there are "hundreds or thousands of others" who have suffered the same small money damages as a result of unfair or illegal business practices, class action suits are born.
I've filed complaints with them and with the Attorney General's Office in Illinois. So far, nothing has come of it, and the responses I received were not encouraging. I saw the response that the CouponCabin lawyer sent to the AGO in Illinois, and I would characterize that response as containing factual errors. Honestly, I would not be surprised if most people who have similar small dollar issues just write it off rather than file any complaints (they may not even be aware of that resource). I'll have to hope, though, that something eventually comes of that.

quincy

I've filed complaints with them and with the Attorney General's Office in Illinois. So far, nothing has come of it, and the responses I received were not encouraging. I saw the response that the CouponCabin lawyer sent to the AGO in Illinois, and I would characterize that response as containing factual errors. Honestly, I would not be surprised if most people who have similar small dollar issues just write it off rather than file any complaints (they may not even be aware of that resource). I'll have to hope, though, that something eventually comes of that.
Although on a very brief search I noticed many consumer complaints about CouponCabin, I saw only lawsuits filed where CouponCabin was the plaintiff in the actions, not defendant.

Good luck trying to collect what you believe is owed you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That's the problem, isn't it? This is a company that offers their services in all 50 states and other countries. In order to resolve a dispute, you have to travel to Lake County, IN. I live relatively close, but if there's a hearing at 8 or 9 am, I probably have to travel there the night before, stay in a hotel, and then get up early to appear in court. There could be multiple hearings and a trial. Imagine trying to resolve this issue if you lived hundreds or thousands of miles away. It is virtually impossible to hold this company accountable unless you live right there, and even then you have to decide if filing paper work, paying fees (though they'd be recouped if you win) and appearing in court is all worth it for small sums of money. In order to do that, it has to be about principle more than the money. This company (and probably most companies that operate online only) can do whatever they want without having to worry about people suing them. How many other people have had their accounts terminated and money withheld? There could be hundreds or thousands of others, all with relatively small amounts of money that they determined aren't worth fighting to recover. The legal system does not offer any good solutions when it comes to resolving disputes with companies that are far away.
It seems to me that if one doesn't like the terms of service, one doesn't have to agree to abide by them or use the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">