• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court on monday first violation please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fourstyx

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: WA - THIS IS LONG BUT PLEASE HELP ME YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW GRATEFUL I AM

I am finding my self in a really bad spot right now. In December i was going down an intersection and the light turned yellow and I believe that it was not safe for me to try stopping and by the time i hit the intersection the light turned red and a bus started making a left hand turn so i ended side swiping the bus. The damages to the bus were minimal with the exception of a paint job and after labor its around 6000$ that im already paying for

I didn't have insurance and i am only 19 so the cop ended up giving me a no insurance ticket and failure to obey traffic control legend. when I got my ticket since it was my first one and i didnt really have any guidance i put that i want a mitigation hearing.

I now have court on this coming monday 3 days from now and i believe that since i waited this long to research i am screwed really bad. This is the first ticket(s) that i have ever had but i read that since my infraction caused an accident i cannot defer the failure to obey the legend and a no insurance ticket cant be deferred anyways. I also read that if u dont get insurance within 15 days of the ticket being issued you have to pay the full 550$ fine.

well first i didn't have insurance because i moved to snohomish county out my parents house living on my own in 09/2011 and supporting my self i had no job and limited money. I finally got a job later in October but then i became very ill and went to the hospital 4 times in one month and couldn't go to work for along time. when december finally came i was hardly starting my job and then got into an accident. I didnt get insurance within 15 days of the accident/ticket because i didn't even have a car anymore or the money for car. It wasnt untill febuary 2012 that i got a new car and insurance the same day.

Now i have court on monday and since i requested a mitigation hearing because i didnt know. doesn't that mean im pleading guilty to the tickets? and no matter what the circumstances i tell the judge i dont qualify for a deferal on either ticket or a reduction in the fine meaning both of these will go on my clean driving record, screw up my insurance i am already paying 200$ a month for because of the accident and possibly lose my license ???

I don't see much of a defense here ... I would bring the proof of the restitution .. it may save you more problems & may mitigate your issues.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I now have court on this coming monday 3 days from now and i believe that since i waited this long to research i am screwed really bad.
Yes, it's a little late to be worrying about this now.

This is the first ticket(s) that i have ever had...
And you picked a winner.

well first i didn't have insurance because i moved to snohomish county out my parents house living on my own in 09/2011 and supporting my self
No, obviously you were NOT supporting yourself. You've made that very clear.

...i requested a mitigation hearing because i didnt know. doesn't that mean im pleading guilty to the tickets?
Based upon what I've read, yes you did plead guilty.

...both of these will go on my clean driving record, screw up my insurance i am already paying 200$ a month for because of the accident and possibly lose my license ???
Stop bragging about your clean driving record. You've been driving a whole one year (maybe two?). Then you turn around and drive with no insurance. That's a great driving record.

Sounds like an attorney may have helped you out but it would seem that you've already taken care of your plea.

fourstyx

Okay first I was supporting myself which I did say in plain English. I had a set amount of money moved down to lynnwood got a job then ended up in the hospital for month not being able to work. How was I supposed to drive 30 miles to work in Redmond with insurance when I got out of the hospital and had not even received my first paycheck. I guess I could have not eaten or had a house a d afforded insurance but that wouldn't do much else besides classify me as homeless

racer72

Your best bet would be to ask for a deferral on the failure to obey, you can't get a deferral on the no insurance ticket. Show you are currently insured and the judge may give you a break but don't count on it. Also espect a pretty hefty fine. I have seen too many people like you in King County courts lately. There is no good excuse to drive uninsured. Period.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Okay first I was supporting myself which I did say in plain English.
Moving out of your parents house when you have no job and no source of income is not supporting yourself. You put yourself in that situation.

And insurance is paid either for 6 months or a year at a time. If your policy was due to be renewed you should have anticipated that and that made your move even more foolish.

fourstyx

Okay let me just make it clear to it doesn't sound as much as if i had a choice. I lived with a single parent and we were being forced to leave where we lived I had a seasonal jo that ended in September. I was on my own I didn't have a choice in the matter I did the best I could trying trying to find a place to live and work and when i got a job I ended up in the hospital sick so i couldn't go to work and a month later when when i could actually start working I got the tickets before I even got my first paycheck. I'm not a kid that moved out because I had a choice and was trying to break away from home because I didn't like my parents rules. Its a matters of actually trying to support your self and survive.

And insurance is a 6month or one year contract that's paid in full or monthly. And insurance for a 19yr old male isn't gonna be cheaper than 300$ down and then 160$ a month.

fourstyx

I dont see what the matter is. I moved because my mother is a dead beat and I made more money than she did last year and I moved so i didn't live in a town with one grocery store and two gas stations so i could find a better job and go to college

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">