• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Coverage while overseas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FLMommy

What is the name of your state? FL

We're planning a trip overseas, and were trying to figure out if our medical insurance would cover us outside of the US. Since we couldn't find anything on it in the policy papers provided by my husband's employer, he called the insurance company and they told him that only medical emergencies would be covered. Does that sound right, and is that usually what ins. companies do, or is it a rare thing they cover medical emergencies outside of the country?

Secondly, if we ask them for a confirmation on paper (by mail) of what my husband was told on the phone, is that binding? I am assuming some cust. service person telling us one thing over the phone is not binding.

Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That sounds exactly right. It is quite common for coverage to be limited to medical emergencies. It would be rare indeed for them to cover anything else - rare to the point of being almost unheard of.

If you ask them for a letter or something in writing, they will probably direct you to wherever on their web site they discuss overseas medical care. You can ask; they may or may not respond. I really wouldn't worry about binding/not-binding; it's just as rare for an insurance carrier to deny coverage for true medical emergency, regardless of where it takes place, than it would be for them to cover anything but emergencies overseas.

I'm not going to claim they might debate whether it was a true emergency, but that's just as true if it's in Ohio as in Italy.

Betty

What is the name of your state? FL

We're planning a trip overseas, and were trying to figure out if our medical insurance would cover us outside of the US. Since we couldn't find anything on it in the policy papers provided by my husband's employer, he called the insurance company and they told him that only medical emergencies would be covered. Does that sound right, and is that usually what ins. companies do, or is it a rare thing they cover medical emergencies outside of the country?

Secondly, if we ask them for a confirmation on paper (by mail) of what my husband was told on the phone, is that binding? I am assuming some cust. service person telling us one thing over the phone is not binding.

Thanks.
Many health ins. policies offer worldwide coverage but only for emergencies. There are supplemental policies that can be bought that cover foreign non-emergency care. However, usually there are higher co-payments but at least you have the coverage. You can buy these policies from private ins. cos. for example.

thebeacon

Travel Health Insurance Options

Most Health Insurance Companies (Blue Cross, Blue Shield, United Health Care, Golden Rule, Aetna, Cigna, etc...) cover you worldwide for emergencies. The insurance company can make a decision weather it was emergency or not. The only insurance company that will cover you world wide with no restrictions is Assurant Health If you want to keep your current health insurance and want to be covered worldwide then look in to supplemental travel insurance from IMG - International Medical Group.Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

ajkroy

One thing OP should know: in nearly EVERY case, the "coverage" is reimbursement only, which means YOU have to pay the bills for the care at the time and can file for insurance reimbursement once you return.

ajkroy

I posted a response to this yesterday, but for some reason it didn't show up....

I just wanted to add that in almost all cases of insurance coverage outside the US, the "coverage" is REIMBURSEMENT ONLY. Which means you will pay for the medical care first and submit a claim for reimbursement upon return to the US. Don't expect to be able to go to a doctor and simply pay the copay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">