• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

COVID Vaccine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

123sunshine

What is the name of your state? NJ
I work at a privately owned company (assisted living) and the owner asked me today if I was taking the shot. I had made the decision long ago that I was not. Personal choice.
When I answered him with a simple "nope" and just looked at me and I said... you should know that, I filled out the form long ago.

His response was... I might be making it mandatory.

My question is.... Can he make it mandatory and hang it over my head that it's the only way I get to keep my job. If he words it a certain way on paper, and something happens to me because I took it because I need to work... can I hold him liable? I will not take it.... and he could fire me... can I sue?

Just Blue

I work at a privately owned company (assisted living) and the owner asked me today if I was taking the shot. I had made the decision long ago that I was not. Personal choice.
When I answered him with a simple "nope" and just looked at me and I said... you should know that, I filled out the form long ago.

My question is.... Can he make it mandatory and hang it over my head that it's the only way I get to keep my job. If he words it a certain way on paper, and something happens to me because I took it because I need to work... can I hold him liable? I will not take it.... and he could fire me... can I sue?
Yes, you can be fired for refusing to vaccinate against a potentially deadly virus that has already killed over 400,000 thousand people in this country alone. You work with the sick/infirm who are at greater risk of death from COVID.

Can you sue? Yes. This is the United States and anyone can sue for anything. The question you should ask is: "Would I win?"

quincy

Yes. Your employer can make it mandatory. You can be fired. You would not have a suit worth pursuing.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
While you have that choice, so far it appears that both vaccines currently being used are remarkably safe and apparently reasonably effective. You'd be protecting yourself and others by doing that. And I'd be shocked if any nursing or assisted living home didn't insist that employees have that vaccine to protect their residents, as those folks are much more at risk for serious problems and death from covid. A facility not insisting on that may well find itself liable in a lawsuit later should residents be harmed from a worker who got covid after refusing to get the vaccine.

You absolutely may be required by the employer to get the vaccine and fired if you refuse, and should you sue over that you'd lose. If somehow you do have adverse consequences from the vaccine, your employer is not responsible for that and you'd have no good claim against the employer over that either. Depending on the facts there might be a claim for malpractice and/or defective product, assuming you suffer something that is not a known potential side effect.

If you really don't want to take the vaccine, I suggest you look for work in a field that does not involve you working around people at greater risk of death from covid.

123sunshine

One detail I forgot to mention is that i have ZERO contact with residents. I work in the office. I believe that the residents are all getting the shot.
We mask whenever we leave our desk, like when i get the mail outside my office. I also take my temp daily and i get a rapid test done 2x a week. Lots of precautions in place.

Last edited:

123sunshine

Why don’t you want to get vaccinated?
Because no-one knows the side effects going forward. I don't ever take the flu shot... I am 58 y/o. As for the COVID shot, we might see an advertisement in a few years... If you took covid vaccine between 2020 and 2021 and have suffered serious side effects, you might be entitled to compensation, please call XYZ... 80% of the population needs to get vaccinated and you got herd immunity... I'll wait for that and i will wait to see how these people did and if they suffered any serious side effects, which must get reported. I will NOT be a guinea pig... I can change my mind down the road.

123sunshine

Ohiogal, I am not ignorant, I always make very informed decisions... I have access to plenty of material and I have read alot.... hence my decision.
Let's leave it at that....

gryndor

I work in a health care capacity (-ish), and am adamantly against the vaccine.

However, the reason for that is that there is zero evidence to-date that the vaccine does any more than prevent symptoms (which is great if you're compromised and severe symptoms will threaten your life). There is no evidence that it prevents me from transmitting COVID, and it will dampen the symptoms so I won't even know I'm contagious. I'm not liking that at all, and don't think it's worth it at this time.

Also, all of my medics and Chief have had horrible side effects. If you DO get the vaccine, PLEASE have someone else drive you home!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">