• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CP will sign Form 8332 but refuses to put her SSN on it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2Mistakes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

CS review hearing was held Aug. 2010. Mom is CP. I am NCP dad.

Mom is disabled. Judge ruled that because mom doesn't file a tax return that I am can claim the child every year, provided that I do not have any arrears as of 12/31 each year.

So, it's now time for me to file my taxes. I sent Form 8332 to mom, and she signed it, but she left her SSN blank. I emailed her and she said that she isn't putting her SNN on anything because she doesn't want me to have it.

Will the IRS accept the form if her SSN isn't on it? If not, how can I claim the child, as the court ordered?

Thanks!

majomom1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

CS review hearing was held Aug. 2010. Mom is CP. I am NCP dad.

Mom is disabled. Judge ruled that because mom doesn't file a tax return that I am can claim the child every year, provided that I do not have any arrears as of 12/31 each year.

So, it's now time for me to file my taxes. I sent Form 8332 to mom, and she signed it, but she left her SSN blank. I emailed her and she said that she isn't putting her SNN on anything because she doesn't want me to have it.

Will the IRS accept the form if her SSN isn't on it? If not, how can I claim the child, as the court ordered?

Thanks!
Do you have her SSN? Fill it in. Mine is on my divorce decree and on the CS forms...

CourtClerk

Meet up at the post office, envelope and stamp in hand. Put your return in the envelope, hand it to her, let her put the info on the form, stick it in the envelope, seal it and drop it in the mailbox.

TA DA!

majomom1

Meet up at the post office, envelope and stamp in hand. Put your return in the envelope, hand it to her, let her put the info on the form, stick it in the envelope, seal it and drop it in the mailbox.

TA DA!
Uh... you mean they have to see each other?!!!

And what if they actually touch when passing the envelope :eek:!!!

CourtClerk

Uh... you mean they have to see each other?!!!

And what if they actually touch when passing the envelope :eek:!!!
I think they actually see each other when they do kiddo exchanges, but in the case of touching, they stand 2 feet from each other. Throw it, the weight of the envelope should allow it to fly at least that far.

TA DA!!!! x2

2Mistakes

The mother and I were never married so I don't know her SSN. We live 7 hours apart so I don't think meeting at a post office would work. She wouldn't do it anyways.

There aren't any kid exchanges. Long story short, when our visitation order was done, I had just lost my home in Katrina, so we did the order just "visitation as agreed between the parties." Yes, I know. Stupid. Now she doesnt agree so there hasnt been any visitation for quite awhile. I plan on rectifying that but it isn't feasible right now.

My immediate issue is doing my taxes. What do I do about the 8332 form?

mistoffolees

The mother and I were never married so I don't know her SSN. We live 7 hours apart so I don't think meeting at a post office would work. She wouldn't do it anyways.

There aren't any kid exchanges. Long story short, when our visitation order was done, I had just lost my home in Katrina, so we did the order just "visitation as agreed between the parties." Yes, I know. Stupid. Now she doesnt agree so there hasnt been any visitation for quite awhile. I plan on rectifying that but it isn't feasible right now.

My immediate issue is doing my taxes. What do I do about the 8332 form?
File for her to be held in contempt. If she was ordered to sign an 8332, that includes filling it out entirely.

At the same time, you can file for her to beheld in contempt for visitation. "as agreed between the parties" makes it hard to enforce the order, but if she's not allowing you visitation at all, you can probably get an order.

Meanwhile, look on the custody order - it may have her SSN.

LdiJ

File for her to be held in contempt. If she was ordered to sign an 8332, that includes filling it out entirely.

At the same time, you can file for her to beheld in contempt for visitation. "as agreed between the parties" makes it hard to enforce the order, but if she's not allowing you visitation at all, you can probably get an order.

Meanwhile, look on the custody order - it may have her SSN.
Actually, I wouldn't worry all that much about the fact that she refuses to put her SSN on the form 8332. As long as you follow the rules exactly (don't attempt to claim EIC, daycare credits or head of household) and as long as you have her signature on the form, the IRS is not going to give you too much grief, because there won't be any duplicate claims for the child.

However, if you CAN come up with her SSN from any of the court documents, that would certainly help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">