• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crazy Landlord trying to evict me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marukai

State that I live in: PA

I have a deranged landlord that has filed suit to evict. I wasn't give a 30 day notice per the lease clause. She is claiming that I vandalized her laundry room, but never filed a police report. She's claiming that a tenant in a different house saw me vandalizing the laundry room. She has no actual proof except for a bogus tenant. She conducted a Self-Help measure by changing the lock on the laundry room, which is illegal. Her filing has an incorrect rent amount along with conducting a Self-Help, and a lack of a 30 day notice per the lease. How should I proceed with the court? I think I have enough to get the judge to toss the case, but if I lose I have the option of filing an appeal which would give me a Supersedes.

Gail in Georgia

A 30 day notice is typically provided to terminate a month to month lease. It does not need to be provided to evict someone for breaching a clause of the lease nor for a criminal action which appears to be what she is claiming.

The ball is in her court to prove to the judge/court her claims that you vandalized her laundry room and thus that your lease should be terminated. You need to make sure you attend the hearing; failure to do so means she wins her case.

Gail

marukai

I was never contacted by the police about this so called vandalism. She said that she filed a police report, but no one from the police department contacted me to proceed with an investigation. I think I have a very good chance of getting the case dismissed for lack of evidence and erroneous filing. She sent me a picture of the laundry room with a bunch of junk sitting out. The photo shows a ceiling mounted camera, which I know has no evidence of me in the laundry room.

reenzz

Why would she include an "incorrect rent amount", if you did not owe rent? Sounds like your being evicted for failure to pay rent and as such, are not afforded a 30 day notice.

marukai

Why would she include an "incorrect rent amount", if you did not owe rent? Sounds like your being evicted for failure to pay rent and as such, are not afforded a 30 day notice.
It’s incorrect because she’s referencing to a new month to month term with a rent increase. She filed with the court but the claim amount is 0 so I have paid my rent

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">