• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Creating a tentant deductible for repairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmiller2

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I have alot of rental property and seem to get the lucky tentants that cause small damage such as breaking door knobs, pull off the screen doors, rip down towel racks in bathrooms, etc. In most cases it is such small repairs that is from somewhat abuse, since these things never happen in my own home with normal wear and tear from even my kids.

Question: Can I legally add a paragraph to my rental agreement that will have a tentant deductible of $50 for any repair?

Trying to solve the problem to have tenants calling everyday about a $5 expense that was caused by themselves. Maybe there is another suggestion I haven't thought about before. Any ideas?

Thanks.

johnd

There is no necessity for a clause to deduct damages (above normal wear and tear). Flat fees for all repairs will be hard to uphold, although a trip charge may not be. My tenants are liable for "all repairs that are minor in relation to the monthly rent."

xylene

Maybe there is another suggestion I haven't thought about before. Any ideas?
Charge adequate rent to cover the EXPENSE of basic repairs for which tenant negligence or responsibility cannot conclusively be proven.

The examples of repairs you cite sound like they could just as easily be due to shoddy installation our materials. Doorknobs require maintenance, and towel racks should ideally be affixed to studs (even toggle bolts pull thru in a damp bathroom) and unless you want to tell me that screen door had a good strong recloser than I have seen a modest breeze eventually fatigue the hinge on a storm door. Now where does your responsibililty and the tenants break in this picture, I don't know or care to... But small repairs is part of your expenses that you need outlay to realize your rental profits.

FarmerJ

Having had the pleasure of doing the maint on group homes whose residents have varying function levels that go with being developementally disabled I can tell you for sure from comparing my own rental repairs to those, when you put up towel bars you need to screw to the wall studs a nice sanded and stained piece of wood then mount the towel bar to it. . You can also make a habit of going to each property once a month to do little things like tighten up door knobs and make sure that storm doors are properly closing so the wind wont send them smashing into the house. Take with you a camera when you do the monthly visit to each and use it to get proof of actual abuse /mis use that is causing damage, Some of your tenants will think your being a good LL some will think your being nosy, SO What big deal , as long as they have proper notice that the unit will be entered then when things are broken you will know about them faster and be able to bill the tenants sooner when it is justified.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">