• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

credit card company sent money to the somebody else.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mneedhelp

What is the name of your state? In MA

about 4 weeks ago me and my husband realized some unknow fraud activity on bank of America credit card. So we checked online account and called bank of america.

Bank of America return $3000 from payment we made by personal check to bank of America in October.
Then now bank charged us that $3000. But we didn't ask return that money and we didn't get any money back from Bank too.

We always paid off whatever we used credit card for it and never paid late. Now bank just send money to somebody.

First, bank lady told us she red flagged the activity to the fraud department but they passed. And then she forwarded us to fraud department.(November 17th) And bank said it is our fault fraud. But she opened the case for research and she said we will get credit back ($3000 +interest). And she reissue new card. Then few days later we got email saying "bank resolved claim and we got credit" (11/21)So, we checked bank statement , there is no credit or anything.

Then we called again, and they told us they accidently closed fraud claim. after that they re opened case. ( November 27th)
We ask bank to check what bank account they sent to. That is separate claim.
Bank said just wait for 1 more week because there was holiday season.

But we got bill from bank including $3000+interest+ stuff we actually bought with credit card. That due is December 21st. We always pay in full amount because we dont want to pay interest. But we dont want to pay that fraud $3000 and interest we didnt ask for it. They told us we can just pay minimum. But if we just paid minimum and the we have to pay high interest. We dont want that. But due date is soon.

In my opinion, bank shouldn't paid $3000 to the bank account that we don't use to pay to credit company . And they didn't even contact us with phone number we provide. Bank usually good about tell us if something fraud payment and stuff, but nothing for this . And it is strange to ask bank to return money we paid for it. And bank didnt think that is strange. We never do that in the past.

Now, December 14th, our claim is still " in researching" . Our bill due date is on 27th. We need send check within 2 days.
I don't know what to do. I'm so stressed out about this, There is no guarantee that we got our money back. What will happen if they denied our claim and have to pay $3000. If we go to the lawyer and decided to fight with bank, I bet lawyer cost more than $3000.

$3000 is a lot of money.

Right now Im really mad at bank of america that they said ok to such a strange activity. I really hate we might have to pay for something we didnt use. Bank got scammed we didnt do anything. we are not the one got scammed by scammer , bank did. But it is difficult to prove that we didnt get that money. (we can show statement from bank account that we use to pay credit card company and etc.. but still difficult to bank of america to trust us.

Wish bank of america didnt 'return" money. If they didn't then this would never happened. Even if they credit us , I won't use bank of america anymore.

Anyway my question is what should I do now? just need wait for bank to resolve this? What should we do for current bill we have to pay? What can I do if bank of america denied our request(report to police and etc...?)

*Bank of America is our credit card company. we pay them with different personal bank account.

quincy

about 4 weeks ago me and my husband realized some unknow fraud activity on bank of America credit card. So we checked online account and called bank of america.

Bank of America return $3000 from payment we made by personal check to bank of America in October.
Then now bank charged us that $3000. But we didn't ask return that money and we didn't get any money back from Bank too.

We always paid off whatever we used credit card for it and never paid late. Now bank just send money to somebody.

First, bank lady told us she red flagged the activity to the fraud department but they passed. And then she forwarded us to fraud department.(November 17th) And bank said it is our fault fraud. But she opened the case for research and she said we will get credit back ($3000 +interest). And she reissue new card. Then few days later we got email saying "bank resolved claim and we got credit" (11/21)So, we checked bank statement , there is no credit or anything.

Then we called again, and they told us they accidently closed fraud claim. after that they re opened case. ( November 27th)

But we got bill from bank including $3000+interest+ stuff we actually bought with credit card. That due is December 21st. We always pay in full amount because we dont want to pay interest. But we dont want to pay that fraud $3000 and interest we didnt ask for it. They told us we can just pay minimum. But if we just paid minimum and the we have to pay high interest. We dont want that. But due date is soon.

In my opinion, bank shouldn't paid $3000 to the bank account that we don't use to pay to credit company . And they didn't even contact us with phone number we provide. Bank usually good about tell us if something fraud payment and stuff, but nothing for this . And it is strange to ask bank to return money we paid for it. And bank didnt think that is strange. We never do that in the past.

Now, December 14th, our claim is still " in researching" . Our bill due date is on 27th. We need send check within 2 days.
I don't know what to do. I'm so stressed out about this, There is no guarantee that we got our money back. What will happen if they denied our claim and have to pay $3000. If we go to the lawyer and decided to fight with bank, I bet lawyer cost more than $3000.

$3000 is a lot of money.

Right now Im really mad at bank of america that they said ok to such a strange activity. I really hate we might have to pay for something we didnt use. Bank got scammed we didnt do anything. we are not the one got scammed by scammer , bank did. But it is difficult to prove that we didnt get that money. (we can show statement from bank account that we use to pay credit card company and etc.. but still difficult to bank of america to trust us.

Wish bank of america didnt 'return" money. If they didn't then this would never happened. Even if they credit us , I won't use bank of america anymore.

Anyway my question is what should I do now? just need wait for bank to resolve this? What should we do for current bill we have to pay? What can I do if bank of america denied our request(report to police and etc...?)

*Bank of America is our credit card company. we pay them with different personal bank account.
Your description of what happened is a bit difficult to follow.

Someone charged $3000 worth of items on your Bank of America credit card so you reported the charge and closed the account. Correct?

If my understanding is correct, I don’t see why you are owed $3000. What the Bank would do is remove the fraudulent charge only.

Did you file a police report?

Do you know who could have accessed your account?

Mneedhelp

Your description of what happened is a bit difficult to follow.

Someone charged $3000 worth of items on your Bank of America credit card so you reported the charge and closed the account. Correct?

If my understanding is correct, I don’t see why you are owed $3000. What the Bank would do is remove the fraudulent charge only.

Did you file a police report?

Do you know who could have accessed your account?
thank you for your respond.
my situation is different than you said.
(Sorry if I confused you.)

somebody didn’t buy anything with my credit card.

my guess is somebody called Bank of America with my credit card number, and personal information then ask bank to return the money already paid to their bank account.

bank statements said they return the money to us.

explain: we got $4000 bill from Bank of America then we paid in full in October.

but Bank of America return $3000 to us because we asked Bank of America to do so in

but we didn’t ask for to return the money, or I didn’t get $3000 on my personal checking account.
(It’s like this we paid but I need money back because we made mistake or we need money. So please return money we paid, so we can pay later)

Bank of America sent money to scammer who using our ID.

now Bank of America charged us $3000 for that we didn’t pay.

I hope this will help to understand. It’s easy if somebody buy something with our credit card
that easy to get money back. But it’s not that simple. I was looking up online but i can’t find any situation like us.

Bank of America return the money because somebody told them we need money back from what we paid.

no, I didn’t report police.
Only me and my husband can access to the account. And we share the personal checking account together. So couldn’t be my husband.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
my guess is somebody called Bank of America with my credit card number, and personal information then ask bank to return the money already paid to their bank account.

explain: we got $4000 bill from Bank of America then we paid in full in October.

but Bank of America return $3000 to us because we asked Bank of America to do so in
That's where things are confusing. Bank of America will NOT simply send you money back after you've paid your credit card bill. I suspect that it's more likely that someone got your credit card information (fraudulently) and then requested a cash advance against your credit card.

quincy

thank you for your respond.
my situation is different than you said.
(Sorry if I confused you.)

somebody didn’t buy anything with my credit card.

but we didn’t ask for to return the money, or I didn’t get $3000 on my personal checking account.
(It’s like this we paid but I need money back because we made mistake or we need money. So please return money we paid, so we can pay later)

Bank of America sent money to scammer who using our ID.

now Bank of America charged us $3000 for that we didn’t pay.

I hope this will help to understand. It’s easy if somebody buy something with our credit card
that easy to get money back. But it’s not that simple. I was looking up online but i can’t find any situation like us.

Bank of America return the money because somebody told them we need money back from what we paid.

no, I didn’t report police.
Only me and my husband can access to the account. And we share the personal checking account together. So couldn’t be my husband.
I think you will probably need to work with the bank to get your account straightened out. You probably should pay the minimum due on your credit card in the meantime, so you do not also have to deal with a late fee.

Mneedhelp

I think you will probably need to work with the bank to get your account straightened out. You probably should pay the minimum due on your credit card in the meantime, so you do not also have to deal with a late fee.
That's where things are confusing. Bank of America will NOT simply send you money back after you've paid your credit card bill. I suspect that it's more likely that someone got your credit card information (fraudulently) and then requested a cash advance against your credit card.
yes, this is confusing.
im pretty sure some people got my credit card information. I got new card now. And I think I will get different credit card after this. Maybe even try to go cash.

but we checked Bank of America account and it didn’t say cashed. And sent electronically.

now new information, my husband called Bank of America this evening. And they told him wait one more week. In last stage of claim view. But no indication of what they will do.
And my husband decided to pay rest of the bill(not $3000). They said it’s ok.

hope we can hear the good news before Christmas.
If we ended up have to pay that money then should I report to the police? Or any other place to call?

quincy

yes, this is confusing.
im pretty sure some people got my credit card information. I got new card now. And I think I will get different credit card after this. Maybe even try to go cash.

but we checked Bank of America account and it didn’t say cashed. And sent electronically.

now new information, my husband called Bank of America this evening. And they told him wait one more week. In last stage of claim view. But no indication of what they will do.
And my husband decided to pay rest of the bill(not $3000). They said it’s ok.

hope we can hear the good news before Christmas.
If we ended up have to pay that money then should I report to the police? Or any other place to call?
If the money was charged to your Bank of America credit card or money was withdrawn from your Bank of America account, without your knowledge or authorization, yes, you should report this to the police.

I think your husband was smart to pay off the balance on the credit account while Bank of America investigates so you don’t have to worry about it. I would do what the Bank suggested and give them another week to look into the issues with your account. After a week, call the Bank again if the Bank has not called you.

I hope you have been keeping good records of who you have talked to at what times and on what dates.

Mneedhelp

If the money was charged to your Bank of America credit card or money was withdrawn from your Bank of America account, without your knowledge or authorization, yes, you should report this to the police.

I think your husband was smart to pay off the balance on the credit account while Bank of America investigates so you don’t have to worry about it. I would do what the Bank suggested and give them another week to look into the issues with your account. After a week, call the Bank again if the Bank has not called you.

I hope you have been keeping good records of who you have talked to at what times and on what dates.
Yes, my husband record who talking to and what they said.

I feel like this is bigger fraud than I think. It’s was automated money transfer as refund.
Maybe computer system got issues or hacked. I don’t know.

we’ve been their customer fo long time and we paid in full all the time, no late payment.

now this happened. I’m so stressed that I had nightmares pretty much everlast time we called they need 1 more week and now 2 week past. And I have to wait for 1 more week.

Hope I can hear result with in our favor.
thank you for your response.

quincy

Yes, my husband record who talking to and what they said.

I feel like this is bigger fraud than I think. It’s was automated money transfer as refund.
Maybe computer system got issues or hacked. I don’t know.

we’ve been their customer fo long time and we paid in full all the time, no late payment.

now this happened. I’m so stressed that I had nightmares pretty much everlast time we called they need 1 more week and now 2 week past. And I have to wait for 1 more week.

Hope I can hear result with in our favor.
thank you for your response.
I can understand your stress and your frustration.

If you want to get the Bank to move faster, getting an attorney involved potentially could speed up the process. But I am not sure that you want to take on that expense right now. Maybe that will be important later, if the Bank continues to have trouble resolving the matter.

Good luck.

Mneedhelp

$3000 is a lot of money.

So now,(12/20) I checked bank account online. It’s said our claim is resolve check message. But no message and no credit $3000. That’s means I lost $3000 that Bank of America fault get scammed or hacked. My husband will call them tomorrow. But not looking good at all. I don’t know what to do after that. Don’t think we want to hire lawyer because it’s expensive.

quincy

So now,(12/20) I checked bank account online. It’s said our claim is resolve check message. But no message and no credit $3000. That’s means I lost $3000 that Bank of America fault get scammed or hacked. My husband will call them tomorrow. But not looking good at all. I don’t know what to do after that. Don’t think we want to hire lawyer because it’s expensive.
A weekend is not the best time to check the account. Calling tomorrow is smart.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">