• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custodial account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


New member
I am currently in Michigan

Hello, I currently have a custdoial account that was set up for me many years ago now I am currently over the age 18 and want the account closed. However the custodian is disabled and not not able to make it to the bank to close it. The bank has stated they physically need to see them in person, is there some way or document I can get from the custodian with their signature or something that can allow me to close the account without them physically being there?


Senior Member
You are going to need to talk to the bank management because they have already said they will "physically need to see them in person."

You might ask if there is a mobile notary they use.


Senior Member
However the custodian is disabled and not not able to make it to the bank
That person is bedridden and never leaves the house at all, for anything?

How does he/she go to the doctor?

If he/she can go to the doctor, he/she can go to the bank. You'll just have to make some effort to arrange it if the bank people won't give you an alternative.


Obvious Observer
I am curious, as it has been my understanding that once the minor reaches majority, the custodian no longer has any relevance regarding the account.

The age of majority seems to be 18 in Michigan.

I can only conclude that this is some quirky rule at that particular bank. If it is a larger bank, I would take it up with the parent institution and ask for clarification of their rules.

(There's a certain bank operating in my town that expects ID and social security # for cash deposits, regardless of the amount. Like, even if you're depositing only $18. Um, who's knowingly depositing counterfeit $1, $5, or $10 bills on security camera in the Girl Scout Council's product sale account?)


Senior Member
My guess is that the custodial account is in the name of the custodian in trust for the minor and needs the custodian's signature to release the account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential