• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custodial parent moving out of state without modifying visitatio order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ildrungo23

Visitation custody order originally from Virginia.

Long story short our child is 7 years old. We finalized our visitation order 4 years ago. I have narcolepsy so she made sure my visitation was supervised by an adult and that I could not drive with our child in the vehicle. (Even though I have a clean driving record, and accident free since I developed narcolepsy). It was for every other weekend alternating spring and winter breaks.

9 months ago, the custodial parent moved out of state. Gave me a suggested visitation modification that I did not agree to. But I am playing along to avoid losing time with our child, and fear of making matters worse somehow. Since then I have been limited to one weekend a month, even during the summer months. Because the custodial parent feels "uncomfortable" with our child visiting me for longer periods of time. They have absolutely no reason to feel that way.

The custodial parent is inconsistent with means of communicating by not updating me on new phone numbers and telling me I can't call or text and only allowing emailed communication. They also don't feel it's necessary to give their number to my family members who have taken the responsibility to be present for supervision and transportation.

I have been taking 5 to 6 hour train rides every month to see our daughter despite barely getting by with the child support payments and working two jobs. Even though they were the ones that moved away. I treat it as a mini vacation.

I am very sure they did not update their address and phone number with the courts clerk. But plan to confirm this in the morning. I am planning to submit a petition to amend the visitation order.

Since we have not been following the court order visitation schedule which one of us would be in violation?

Should they be the ones responsible for transporting for drop offs and pick ups?

Is it illegal or against the codes for them to uproot our child without informing the courthouse?

Is an emergency contact for both of us a standard practice and something that needs to be stipulated in the court order?

What are some suggested visitation setups for long distance co-parenting, with a non custodial parent that should not be driving?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Visitation custody order originally from Virginia.

Long story short our child is 7 years old. We finalized our visitation order 4 years ago. I have narcolepsy so she made sure my visitation was supervised by an adult and that I could not drive with our child in the vehicle. (Even though I have a clean driving record, and accident free since I developed narcolepsy). It was for every other weekend alternating spring and winter breaks.

9 months ago, the custodial parent moved out of state. Gave me a suggested visitation modification that I did not agree to. But I am playing along to avoid losing time with our child, and fear of making matters worse somehow. Since then I have been limited to one weekend a month, even during the summer months. Because the custodial parent feels "uncomfortable" with our child visiting me for longer periods of time. They have absolutely no reason to feel that way.

The custodial parent is inconsistent with means of communicating by not updating me on new phone numbers and telling me I can't call or text and only allowing emailed communication. They also don't feel it's necessary to give their number to my family members who have taken the responsibility to be present for supervision and transportation.

I have been taking 5 to 6 hour train rides every month to see our daughter despite barely getting by with the child support payments and working two jobs. Even though they were the ones that moved away. I treat it as a mini vacation.

I am very sure they did not update their address and phone number with the courts clerk. But plan to confirm this in the morning. I am planning to submit a petition to amend the visitation order.

Since we have not been following the court order visitation schedule which one of us would be in violation?

Should they be the ones responsible for transporting for drop offs and pick ups?

Is it illegal or against the codes for them to uproot our child without informing the courthouse?

Is an emergency contact for both of us a standard practice and something that needs to be stipulated in the court order?

What are some suggested visitation setups for long distance co-parenting, with a non custodial parent that should not be driving?
Much depends how n the actual wording of the order and what part of it you haven’t been following. Consult a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">