• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody after International Child Abduction for 7Y NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OHRoadwarrior

As an aside, let me reiterate, you should request the court order her not to remove the children form their location without permission and if she plans a vacation out of the country, she must post a $20k or so bond. You should request the court order they be put into English learning classes at a public school.

LdiJ

As an aside, let me reiterate, you should request the court order her not to remove the children form their location without permission and if she plans a vacation out of the country, she must post a $20k or so bond. You should request the court order they be put into English learning classes at a public school.
Just as an FYI, most schools don't have separate "English learning classes". They often have special tutoring programs, or resource programs to help the children succeed with learning English, but its generally not separate classes.

Ladyback1

Just as an FYI, most schools don't have separate "English learning classes". They often have special tutoring programs, or resource programs to help the children succeed with learning English, but its generally not separate classes.
ummm....it really depends on where you are. When we lived in Texas, and my oldest started kindergarten. The school he attended had 5 Kindergarten classes--2 of which were ESL Kindergarten classes.

So, it really does depend on the school district and the specific needs of the children that the school district serves.

I'mTheFather

ummm....it really depends on where you are. When we lived in Texas, and my oldest started kindergarten. The school he attended had 5 Kindergarten classes--2 of which were ESL Kindergarten classes.

So, it really does depend on the school district and the specific needs of the children that the school district serves.
Agreed. Even in New York, bilingual classes are classes designed for learning English, or "English learning classes". Students with little to no English language knowledge will most likely not be part of a pull out program.

Just Blue

Every school that both my child have gone to have had such classes. :)

Father of Orpha

Thanks all for the replies. NO one addressed my question whether the children testimony will play a major role in court, especially with the kidnapping situation. My youngest told me that he will wee me next in court, and I am sure she is feeding them what to say from now.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks all for the replies. NO one addressed my question whether the children testimony will play a major role in court, especially with the kidnapping situation. My youngest told me that he will wee me next in court, and I am sure she is feeding them what to say from now.
Why should the kids have to testify?

LdiJ

I think we have some confusion here on terminology. Each school district is going to handle it differently based on the needs of that school district and the number of children in that district who need ESL services. What is unlikely is that any students are going to have to go to a separate "English learning class" every day at say 10:00 AM...whatever they need is going to be built into the total curriculum based on the needs of the children and the practicalities of the school district.

The school districts who deal with the greater number of children in need of ESL services are going to have stronger programs in place.

Father of Orpha

I think we have some confusion here on terminology. Each school district is going to handle it differently based on the needs of that school district and the number of children in that district who need ESL services. What is unlikely is that any students are going to have to go to a separate "English learning class" every day at say 10:00 AM...whatever they need is going to be built into the total curriculum based on the needs of the children and the practicalities of the school district.

The school districts who deal with the greater number of children in need of ESL services are going to have stronger programs in place.
HOw can you find about school districts and their esl programs in NJ and NY.

I'mTheFather

That's not entirely correct either. ESL support is essentially an "English learning class." Students are pulled at specific times of day for those programs in many districts. In others, the teachers push in. In some districts, they do both, and other programs as well. If OP's children don't know English, they will most likely be in a bilingual class which is designed to learn English with support while receiving instruction in the native language.

ORW was correct in his post, though his terminology was different. Perhaps he believed OP would understand his terminology better.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Go to the schools' websites. Call the state board of education. Call the schools and ask.
And.... go visit the schools. Ask to observe relevant classes.

But I seriously doubt that the DV will NOT come into play in your custody hearing. Neither you nor Mom have clean hands here, so the court isnot likely to yank the kids. Seriously look at step up plans for parenting time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">