• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody Agreement - travel abroad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA
Is it a good idea to include travelling out of the country into a custody agreement so no future issues arise? I have taken our daughter to visit my family abroad in the past with my STBX's permission. Just want to make sure I word it correctly in the original custody agreement to protect our child in the future.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA
Is it a good idea to include travelling out of the country into a custody agreement so no future issues arise? I have taken our daughter to visit my family abroad in the past with my STBX's permission. Just want to make sure I word it correctly in the original custody agreement to protect our child in the future.
Yes, it would be a good idea to get that included in the custody agreement if at all possible. Your stbx would be more likely to agree to it if it was spelled out very precisely....for example, A parent is allowed to take the child to visit relatives abroad for X number of times per year for X amount of time.

TinkerBelleLuvr

The verbiage should include that the non-traveling party has x amount of time to provide notarized agreement with the dates presented. Include who holds the passport and if the other parent is traveling, how long they have to return passport, etc.

Is the country you are traveling to part of the Hague Convention?

The verbiage should include that the non-traveling party has x amount of time to provide notarized agreement with the dates presented. Include who holds the passport and if the other parent is traveling, how long they have to return passport, etc.

Is the country you are traveling to part of the Hague Convention?
It isn't. We've travelled there once in the past, and Dad didn't have a problem with that (gave a written permission to travel). What happens if the time reqired for travelling interferes with his visitation time (i.e. I have our daughter out of the country when he is supposed to have her) and I'm willing to compensate that time for him? How should that be worded?

Thanks everyone for you answers!

TinkerBelleLuvr

Then each party should be allowed to have x amount of time of uninterrupted parenting time in the summer. If you get 3 week (or whatever), then so should dad to even it out. Even year, parent one chooses the time first. Next year alternates to the other party.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Look through my threads for Hague Convention for verbiage that should be included. What I didn't get was that dad has to return the passport to me in the event HE travels outside the country. He is NOT trustworthy - prior bad acts.

We each get a period of the summer of uninterrupted parenting time to do travel.

Look through my threads for Hague Convention for verbiage that should be included. What I didn't get was that dad has to return the passport to me in the event HE travels outside the country. He is NOT trustworthy - prior bad acts.

We each get a period of the summer of uninterrupted parenting time to do travel.
TinkerBelleLuvr, thank you so much, this is so helpful!

nextwife

It isn't. We've travelled there once in the past, and Dad didn't have a problem with that (gave a written permission to travel). What happens if the time reqired for travelling interferes with his visitation time (i.e. I have our daughter out of the country when he is supposed to have her) and I'm willing to compensate that time for him? How should that be worded?

Thanks everyone for you answers!
Is dad agreeable to his time being swapped to a time that you prefer to give him?

Many people have jobs in which the nature of the job limits what particular months or times of the month they can take their vacations. I, for example, cannot take my vacations either the first or the last week of the month, or the end of the year. Were I a NCP, I would not wish the time that I had allocated to be off and/or available simply reallocated without my input about what other dates were comparable..

Last edited:
Is dad agreeable to his time being swapped to a time that you prefer to give him?

Many people have jobs in which the nature of the job limits what particular months or times of the month they can take their vacations. I, for example, cannot take my vacations either the first or the last week of the month, or the end of the year. Were I a NCP, I would not wish the time that I had allocated to be off and/or available simply reallocated without my input about what other dates were comparable..
I agree, there's also a time of the year I have blackout dates for vacation, but for our daughter it would be the easiest to take a long vacation in the summer time because of school. Dad is agreeing for us to travel for up to 1 month (and I can't take more time than that off work anyway). The lenght of time will be between 2-4 weeks (my family is overseas and it's difficult to go for less than 2 weeks because of the long flight and time zone changes).

She did mention that the country she is travelling to is not a participant of the Hague Convention. Personally, I would be against my ex traveling with our children to any country that is not a Hague Convention signatory.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">