• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody Agreement - travel abroad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

She did mention that the country she is travelling to is not a participant of the Hague Convention. Personally, I would be against my ex traveling with our children to any country that is not a Hague Convention signatory.
It really depends on the parent's ties to both the US and that country. Many people from foreign countries may like to visit their family there, but they actually have no desire to reside there again, for numerous different reasons.

Someone with strong ties to the US is unlikely to visit a foreign country with their children and refuse to return. Someone with weak ties to the US might visit a foreign country and refuse to return.

It really depends on the parent's ties to both the US and that country. Many people from foreign countries may like to visit their family there, but they actually have no desire to reside there again, for numerous different reasons.

Someone with strong ties to the US is unlikely to visit a foreign country with their children and refuse to return. Someone with weak ties to the US might visit a foreign country and refuse to return.
I understand the reasoning behind these concerns. I have family overseas, but my home, job, my child's schhol, etc. are all in the U.S. I don't belive Dad would ever be concerned about us not returning to the U.S. and he said he would allow overseas travel for up to a month at a time. Of course, he would still need to sign a permission to travel so we wouldn't be able to go without that anyway.

CJane

Sorry for not answering earlier, I'm not entirely comfortable with saying that on the internet unless you think it is crucial for this community to know what country it is to help answer my questions.
It really doesn't matter where you're planning to travel to. I would make sure it's addressed in the order, and I would NOT specify a country - only because you may choose to travel to a neighboring country, or go on a cruise, or something like that, and if your order is TOO specific, that can be problematic.

At the end of the day, if Dad doesn't have an issue with you traveling to the country, and there's no concern that you would opt to not return with the child (it doesn't sound like there is), then it shouldn't be difficult to have the required clauses entered in the order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">