• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody rights of Non custodial parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chrisj98

I need advice. I live GA. My wife's ex-boyfriend, the biological father of our 7 year old son, keeps harassing us using the visitation of our son as a pretense. He only recently wanted to be actively involved with our son since my wife has been married to me. He pays no child support, only wants to make appearance for Christmas and birthdays, and now is harassing us claiming that he will hurt my wife if she doesn't let him see his son. We reported it to police but the say it must be a "direct terroristic threat" before they will consider it serious. What can I do as the non-biological parent to protect my son from abduction and my wife from the threat of bodily harm?

L

LadyBlu

chrisj98 said:
I need advice. I live GA. My wife's ex-boyfriend, the biological father of our 7 year old son, keeps harassing us using the visitation of our son as a pretense. He only recently wanted to be actively involved with our son since my wife has been married to me. He pays no child support, only wants to make appearance for Christmas and birthdays, and now is harassing us claiming that he will hurt my wife if she doesn't let him see his son. We reported it to police but the say it must be a "direct terroristic threat" before they will consider it serious. What can I do as the non-biological parent to protect my son from abduction and my wife from the threat of bodily harm?
Is there court ordered support? Is there court ordered visitation?

If so, first thing that needs to be done is to take him to court for contempt of court for arrears on the support, then while you are at it, petition the court for a change in visitation. Keep a journal of all non appearances to pick the child up for visits, of all phone calls.(GA is a one party state, meaning you can record the conversations and the threats he is making to provide to the court).

Also, ask the court for a Temporary Restraining Order. This can be done immediately when you file for the support/visitation enforcement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">