• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody with a newborn?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaitlyndanel

I’m needing advice. My ex boyfriend and I are both 18. I am 35 weeks pregnant currently and we were living in Montana for a month until he decided to kick me out, so I moved in with my parents in California. He has told me he is going to fight me for 50/50 custody where one of us gets the baby for summer and one for school and he won’t pay me a dime in child support until he gets what he wants. I don’t think he understands newborns don’t go to school and he is planning for something years down the line when I’m trying to work out a plan for now. I’ve told him I’m not going to keep his baby away from him, but I believe because he will be a newborn and we live in different states, 50/50 custody may not happen for awhile. He then started questioning about whether or not he is the dad and now wants a DNA test which I said he can get but has to pay for. Haven’t heard from him after that and I keep texting him asking if we could come up with a plan for our baby, if he would still like to be there for the birth, etc. but haven’t recieved anything back. I know even though he is ignoring me he is still going to try to fight to be in the baby’s life which I don’t mind, but he is being unrealistic. I’m not sure what to do for my situation right now. Am I wrong that a court wouldn’t do 50/50 custody right away of a newborn? I guess I’m looking for advice as to what are my rights as a mother.

Last edited:

LdiJ

I’m needing advice. My ex boyfriend and I are both 18. I am 35 weeks pregnant currently and we were living in Montana for a month until he decided to kick me out, so I moved in with my parents in California. He has told me he is going to fight me for 50/50 custody where one of us gets the baby for summer and one for school and he won’t pay me a dime in child support until he gets what he wants. I don’t think he understands newborns don’t go to school and he is planning for something years down the line when I’m trying to work out a plan for now. I’ve told him I’m not going to keep his baby away from him, but I believe because he will be a newborn and we live in different states, 50/50 custody may not happen for awhile. He then started questioning about whether or not he is the dad and now wants a DNA test which I said he can get but has to pay for. Haven’t heard from him after that and I keep texting him asking if we could come up with a plan for our baby, if he would still like to be there for the birth, etc. but haven’t recieved anything back. I know even though he is ignoring me he is still going to try to fight to be in the baby’s life which I don’t mind, but he is being unrealistic. I’m not sure what to do for my situation right now. Am I wrong that a court wouldn’t do 50/50 custody right away of a newborn? I guess I’m looking for advice as to what are my rights as a mother.
Give up trying to make a plan. He clearly is not going to cooperate with making one. Have the baby, file for child support and primary custody and work out a parenting plan through court. Court orders protect everyone.

50/50 for a newborn would be absurd. 50/50 for a newborn when dad lives in another state would be even more absurd. Dad will have to start out visiting in your community and gradually work his way into visitation in his state.

HRZ

DIscuss issues with a CA attorney soon ...it's is unlikely MT will have jurisdiction and so far the supposed father has no rights ....but lay your groundwork darn soon ...and I'd stay away from MT ...and until there is a court order in place as to CS he has no legal duty to pay a dime .

DAd once he is formally determined to be Dad is likely to have modest visitation rights ...at his travel expense ..Dads have rights and duties too.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Kaitlyn, don't even bother fighting with him about it. He is not going to get what he wants. No possible way. Don't waste your breath and your energy trying to convince him of that; he'll find out when the judge tells him off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">