• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Customized Car Similar to other posts, Not exactly

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuietB4TheStorm

Sorry, it's a 1993 Geo Storm. Far Far from original. And yes. I am calling all of the specialty, collector, etc companies. I don't race it, I rarely drive it; only to show it. It meets requirements for low mileage (less than 1000 per year) and is garage kept or trailered to shows. The year is what is killing me.

QuietB4TheStorm

Zigner said:
As I said - this is a SMALL CLAIMS issue - lawyers aren't involved.
Thank you. I was unaware that you could not accept the insurance offer and sue for the difference in small claims court. I am learning (never been in a wreck before).... So it looks like I am going for $5K in small claims and the insurance ducks any financial responsibility.

QuietB4TheStorm

Well, I think I may have found a company to insure it. The company is Sneed; they only cover certain domestics 11 years or older. Mine just so happens to fall within that category.

I don't know what these guys do with 100K invested in their import tuners--pray they don't get hit, I guess.

ecmst12

The guy's insurance isn't going to be ducking any financial responsibility. As mentioned, if you win in small claims court, the insurance company will pay what you're awarded.

QuietB4TheStorm

I won't be taking the insurance company to small claims; I will be filing suit against the driver that is responsible. The insurance will not pay a penny over blue book value.

ecmst12

Insurance's job is to protect the policy holder from liability. You sue the driver, you win an amount which is within his policy limits, for an action which was covered by his policy, they have to pay regardless of whether it's over BB value or not. They are bound by the ruling of the court.

QuietB4TheStorm

Ok. This is sounding a little better. What if he was underinsured... IE I am told he only had liability insurance. I guess what I am asking is how do I know what his policy's boundaries are? In addition, if the judge rules in my favor, how will the insurance company be notified of responsibility?... Letter from the court system?

I am sorry I feel like I am asking a bunch of dumb questions... I have no clue what I am doing and want to make sure that I am full aware of what to expect and the proper channels to take.

Thank you for all of your help so far.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
QuietB4TheStorm said:
Ok. This is sounding a little better. What if he was underinsured... IE I am told he only had liability insurance. I guess what I am asking is how do I know what his policy's boundaries are? In addition, if the judge rules in my favor, how will the insurance company be notified of responsibility?... Letter from the court system?

I am sorry I feel like I am asking a bunch of dumb questions... I have no clue what I am doing and want to make sure that I am full aware of what to expect and the proper channels to take.

You need to sue the DRIVER in small claims for $5,000. It is the other driver's responsibility to notify his insurance company.
His policy limits will (ok, should be) at least what the legal minimum for your state is. But, that's not your concern at this point.
Go to the small claims court and get the forms to get the ball rolling (you might even be able to download the forms from the internet)

seagoing

You would be wise in getting all your reciepts ,pictures,estimates to put car back to the condition prior to the accident .. Anything and everything to help prove your Geo is worth the $5000 you will be suing for.

QuietB4TheStorm

seagoing said:
You would be wise in getting all your reciepts ,pictures,estimates to put car back to the condition prior to the accident .. Anything and everything to help prove your Geo is worth the $5000 you will be suing for.
Yep. Done. I've got proof of value on everything in and on the car. I also have three quotes for repair. I have witnesses that saw the wreck. I also have a witness that can explain why the repairs will be so costly. Tons of before and after pictures, too. I have copies of websites that feature the car and sponsors who name me and the team on their websites. I have a copy of the website that shows the car is the 3rd highest rated show car Geo in the world. I have stats from shows that I have attended for the last three years and pictures of over 100 trophies that the car has won in those three years..... And lastly a copy of the police report which clearly states who was at fault. Have to have that.

I have had a couple of months to pull everything together and feel that I have quite a case.... I just hope the Judge agrees!

moburkes

QuietB4TheStorm said:

All he needs is liability insurance. Liability insurance is what pays the other party (YOU) for damages that the liable driver casued. Damages will be paid up to limits of the policy. If the damages exceed the limits of the policy, then the liable party will be responsible for the rest.

Insurance does not protect the policy holder from LIABILITY. He is already LIABLE. It protects his assets. It also makes collecting faster when there IS insurance.

If he was uninsured or underinsured, then you would either use YOUR insurance policy (if you have uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage) or have to collect directly from the other person, which would suck, if he didn't have a job or assets. It would also suck because you don't have enough coverage yourself to pay the bills.

averad

Off-topic

Would the OP be willing to post pictures(links) of the car? I am wondering what it looks like with all the money spent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">