• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Customs q.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FLMommy

What is the name of your state? FL

Ok, here is a question...

I have a foreign citizenship, and hold a US Green Card.
My husband is a US citizen.
Our daughter has dual citizenship and is added both in my, as well as my husband's passport (she was born in the US).

Say my husband, I, and our daughter want to take a trip to my home country. My husband leaves to go back to the US earlier for work, I come back a little later, with our daughter.
They will let me in, because I have Permanent Residence - am I right to assume they will let her in without problems also (she is in my passport, but I would have no proof to show she is a US citizen also, because my husband left earlier and I won't have his passport to show for it)? I mean she's an infant, if they deny her, it's not like I'm going to go anywhere without her...

Do I have to bring her birth-certificate or will it be sufficient that her place of birth (in US) is indicated next to her name in my passport? Or are we not going to have trouble at all, because she is an infant, and still in my passport?

Just curious...

And what line would I be in anyway ? Maybe I can go through the fast line (read "US citizen line") cause she is a US citizen hehe... that would be nice to cut the wait short.. ;)

I believe that every child, no matter how young, should have his/her own passport. Moreover, since you hold a green card you still go through the line for citizens.

AHA

FLMommy said:
What is the name of your state? FL

Ok, here is a question...

I have a foreign citizenship, and hold a US Green Card.
My husband is a US citizen.
Our daughter has dual citizenship and is added both in my, as well as my husband's passport (she was born in the US).

Say my husband, I, and our daughter want to take a trip to my home country. My husband leaves to go back to the US earlier for work, I come back a little later, with our daughter.
They will let me in, because I have Permanent Residence - am I right to assume they will let her in without problems also (she is in my passport, but I would have no proof to show she is a US citizen also, because my husband left earlier and I won't have his passport to show for it)? I mean she's an infant, if they deny her, it's not like I'm going to go anywhere without her...

Do I have to bring her birth-certificate or will it be sufficient that her place of birth (in US) is indicated next to her name in my passport? Or are we not going to have trouble at all, because she is an infant, and still in my passport?

Just curious...

And what line would I be in anyway ? Maybe I can go through the fast line (read "US citizen line") cause she is a US citizen hehe... that would be nice to cut the wait short.. ;)
My brother and SIL travel in and out of the US a few times a year and their BABY had to have a passport, so you should really look into getting your child one too.

FLMommy

Oh yeah... hehe, well that might be an option huh? Hadn't really come to mind yet. Would her passport not need renewal every year cause her picture would be so outdated?

BelizeBreeze, I've read some of your other posts :) What are you trying to "say" with your question? Seems kind of irrelevant... and why is 'child in ''? But to answer your q's, I'm from a country in W. Europe, and as I wrote in my original post, our daughter is an infant.

AHA

FLMommy said:
Oh yeah... hehe, well that might be an option huh? Hadn't really come to mind yet. Would her passport not need renewal every year cause her picture would be so outdated?
IF that's even the case, it's a small price to pay to be able to travel with your child.

STLGirl

A childs passport is valid for 5 years. When traveling anywhere out of the USA she would need her own passport.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">