• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad Disabled - no support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Grace1

Washington state - My son's father has not paid child support since 1996, he was declared disabled due to panic attacks in 2000 and I receive $100 each month from the state.

Based on his disability status, is it possible to receive additional funds from him aside from what is provided for disability?

He has 2 other children who live with him and apparently a 3rd on the way, which means my funds will be cut to about $70. But, he has informed me he will probably be dropping the disability soon. In addition, he works for himself or under the table so it seems impossible to garnish wages.

Does anyone know of anything I can do? Is it worth it to even try to go to court for any kind of child support judgement? I have paperwork showing he's supposed to pay $25/month, which he's never paid.

Open to any and all suggestions. Thank you!

Grace1 said:
Washington state - My son's father has not paid child support since 1996, he was declared disabled due to panic attacks in 2000 and I receive $100 each month from the state.

Based on his disability status, is it possible to receive additional funds from him aside from what is provided for disability?

He has 2 other children who live with him and apparently a 3rd on the way, which means my funds will be cut to about $70. But, he has informed me he will probably be dropping the disability soon. In addition, he works for himself or under the table so it seems impossible to garnish wages.

Does anyone know of anything I can do? Is it worth it to even try to go to court for any kind of child support judgement? I have paperwork showing he's supposed to pay $25/month, which he's never paid.

My response:

How much money per month do you bring to this equation?

IAAL

GrowUp!

Grace1 said:

Yeah...I have a suggestion.

How about addressing the bolded parts.

So, which is it? You either are or are not recieving support.

Grace1

First, up until last year, I made $3,500 each month and put my son's $100 each month toward things he needed. Circumstances changed as of last year began making $2100.

From 1970 - 1997 he worked construction and was healthy, hurt his arm, went to training and became a computer repair person - in 1999 he suddenly had panic attacks. In 2000 he started receiving support.

In 1995 he told the judge he was out of work, while still working under the table - so he was granted a judgement of $25/ month - he never paid from 1995 - 2000.

In 2000, he began receiving support which accounts for the $100 each month.

However, he continues to work under the table, and is having another child which will drop my son's support.

I've watched ex-wives use support for new cars, trips, etc. I have a 14 yo son who outgrows his shoes and clothes about every 4 months, I can't keep up on $100 a month, much less the $70 I will start receiving in about 6 months.

I understood from an SSI employee that certain types of disability do not disallow child support and it would seem to me only fair that he at least kick in the court ordered $25.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Grace1 said:
First, up until last year, I made $3,500 each month and put my son's $100 each month toward things he needed. Circumstances changed as of last year began making $2100.

From 1970 - 1997 he worked construction and was healthy, hurt his arm, went to training and became a computer repair person - in 1999 he suddenly had panic attacks. In 2000 he started receiving support.

In 1995 he told the judge he was out of work, while still working under the table - so he was granted a judgement of $25/ month - he never paid from 1995 - 2000.

In 2000, he began receiving support which accounts for the $100 each month.

However, he continues to work under the table, and is having another child which will drop my son's support.

I've watched ex-wives use support for new cars, trips, etc. I have a 14 yo son who outgrows his shoes and clothes about every 4 months, I can't keep up on $100 a month, much less the $70 I will start receiving in about 6 months.

I understood from an SSI employee that certain types of disability do not disallow child support and it would seem to me only fair that he at least kick in the court ordered $25.
The $100 a month counts as his support. That is more than the $25 a month he was ordered to pay. Good grief. You can't support your child on $2100 a month? Many people do so. If you are only spending $100 a month or $70 a month on your son that is not a good thing. YOu should also be supporting him. There are many ways to save money and spend less and still live well.

Grace1

Well - I guess it's true that you get what you pay for. Thanks for all of your judgements and appreciate all of your FREE advice.

LdiJ

Ohiogal said:
The $100 a month counts as his support. That is more than the $25 a month he was ordered to pay. Good grief. You can't support your child on $2100 a month? Many people do so. If you are only spending $100 a month or $70 a month on your son that is not a good thing. YOu should also be supporting him. There are many ways to save money and spend less and still live well.
That was a bit of a tacky response Ohiogal. When was the last time you attempted to support a household that included a teenager on 2100 a month?...which may even be gross rather than net?

Even in a city/town with a relatively low cost of living it would be a struggle to just provide the basics. That's 25k a year. I assume that you do realize that rent, utilities, insurance, gasoline, food on the table etc....is part of supporting a child? 100.00 bucks would be lucky to feed a teenage boy for a WEEK....let alone anything else.

GrowUp!

Grace1 said:
Well - I guess it's true that you get what you pay for. Thanks for all of your judgements and appreciate all of your FREE advice.
Well then take your smartass to an attorney, pay a 1k or 1500 retainer and see what they tell you. Then they will be able to do this and that, for their hourly rate. :rolleyes:

GrowUp!

LdiJ said:
That was a bit of a tacky response Ohiogal. When was the last time you attempted to support a household that included a teenager on 2100 a month?...which may even be gross rather than net?

Even in a city/town with a relatively low cost of living it would be a struggle to just provide the basics. That's 25k a year. I assume that you do realize that rent, utilities, insurance, gasoline, food on the table etc....is part of supporting a child? 100.00 bucks would be lucky to feed a teenage boy for a WEEK....let alone anything else.
And that is all irrelevant because the OP ex's situation is what it is. There are legal procedures the OP can take to attempt to find out what her ex is making. Oh yeah, I noticed you didn't offer the OP any legal advice as to how she can find out exactly what the ex is making... :rolleyes:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
LdiJ said:

I have supported a family on less than 25k a year. It is not that difficult. And that was paying for everything and budgeting quite easily. NOthing tacky about it. It just depended on what type of lifestyle I wanted. I lived in safe small apartments and/or homes. Drove older vehicles. Shopped using coupons and made a lot of things from scratch. I was very careful with my money and was always on the lookout for how to improve my situation. Tacky? No. Truthful -- yes. It is possible. Maybe not in California but in many other places.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">