• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad disappeared with Daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Servicefun

I don't know the punishment but my Attorney told me if it will happen contact the Sheriff Department and show "standing Temporary Order For Dissolution of Marriage action with minor Children" from the court. I hope it will help.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thank you very much Servicefun, I will let the Mother know and tell her to at least give it a try!
Mom though is just as guilty if she was relocating 4 to 8 hours away. Not exactly following the terms either. If she raises a fuss watch the court get ticked at her as well for moving.

JKBee

In a case such as yours, don't "call" your attorney. Go sit in front of his secretary until you get in to see the attorney. You need to go in front of a judge and get an order to allow you temporary custody and let your attorney you need him (or her) to move like yesterday on this. You also need to know where the child is, and it might take alot of mileage on my car, but I would go and look for his car until you find him. That way you will know where to have the papers served on him for temporary custody. With a temp custody order, the police may or may not get involved. I was told by our local sheriff's deputy that if the mother came to demand her grandkids, he would not give them to her. It would be a totally civil matter. Discuss this with your lawyer immediately, and not on the phone!

Mom though is just as guilty if she was relocating 4 to 8 hours away. Not exactly following the terms either. If she raises a fuss watch the court get ticked at her as well for moving.
Yes, I realize that now that her moving here was a mistake, and had we known before, we would not have let her come down here until everything was cleared. I don't think she carefully read the papers, or understood them, which I know is not an excuse. At this point she just wants to be able to see her daughter and to know that she is ok. She will have to figure out temporary living arrangements within the original county if she does get her daughter back before their hearing.

The Father is basically keeping the daughter because he wants to get back with the Mother (I heard him saying this to her on the phone). I also know that he has a child from a previous relationship that he does not see, and he had previously disappeared before the divorce for three months and never called to speak with his daughter, or try to see her.

In the original court filings by the Grandparents they said the Father was currently residing with family in South Carolina and that he had verbally agreed for the Grandparents to have Temporary Custody of the Mother and Father's daughter.

I know that the Mother has made some mistakes in the past, especially when dealing with the divorce and the children, but does she still have a chance to have physical/primary custody of her daughter given the Father's criminal history, and his recent actions of not helping to facilitate a healthy relationship between the daughter and Mother?

In a case such as yours, don't "call" your attorney. Go sit in front of his secretary until you get in to see the attorney. You need to go in front of a judge and get an order to allow you temporary custody and let your attorney you need him (or her) to move like yesterday on this. You also need to know where the child is, and it might take alot of mileage on my car, but I would go and look for his car until you find him. That way you will know where to have the papers served on him for temporary custody. With a temp custody order, the police may or may not get involved. I was told by our local sheriff's deputy that if the mother came to demand her grandkids, he would not give them to her. It would be a totally civil matter. Discuss this with your lawyer immediately, and not on the phone!
Thank you for your response JKBee, this is actually not my custody matter, but one that belongs to a friend, who also happens to be the Mother of my step-son. The attorney I had spoken to was for another matter, and he was just telling me how backed up the County Circuit Court is there.

I have not been able to speak with the Mother for a bit, but she has driven up to see her attorney, or to find a new one. Unfortunately she is not familiar with what resources are available to her, or what her rights are, but that is something we are trying to help her with, and keep advising her to speak with her attorney or find a new one who will deal with this situation in a more expedient matter.

I also know that she has tried driving to locations where she thinks the father may be, but he has not been there, and she believes he is moving his locations so that she cannot find him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">