• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad from joint custody to full

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CaseyJones

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

I am the primary custodian of my three year old daughter with joint custody. My ex moved out of state over a month ago. She has not informed the court of her move or new job. How hard will it be for me to now ask for full custody. She has moved over a thousand miles away and does not come and get our daughter according to the joint visitation schedule. The only thing she pays for is half of school. What kind of support may I ask for. I am a disabled veteran in college full time.
Being a dad is the greatest thing in the world

moburkes

I am the primary custodian of my three year old daughter with joint custody. My ex moved out of state over a month ago. She has not informed the court of her move or new job. How hard will it be for me to now ask for full custody. She has moved over a thousand miles away and does not come and get our daughter according to the joint visitation schedule. The only thing she pays for is half of school. What kind of support may I ask for. I am a disabled veteran in college full time.
You should already be getting support. Why aren't you?

LdiJ

It won't be difficult to ask for primary custody and child support, but it would be difficult to ask for full custody. Do a google search to find a child support calculator for your state and run the numbers. That will give you an idea of what kind of support might be ordered.

CaseyJones

I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back. My computer took a dive and it has taken me a while to get back on here. Thank you for your responses.
Why will it be hard for me to get full custody? I know very little about the law and appreciate your help.

Ok, to my previous post, I have to just say that being a parent is the greatest : )

Last edited:

CaseyJones

I had some difficulty getting money for school in july and now she wants to take our child out of state to her house and then to another state to see the grandmother. After this she wants to keep the child until school ends in december.

LdiJ

I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back. My computer took a dive and it has taken me a while to get back on here. Thank you for your responses.
Why will it be hard for me to get full custody? I know very little about the law and appreciate your help.

Ok, to my previous post, I have to just say that being a parent is the greatest : )
Because it is relatively rare these days for any judge to give full custody to any parent. There are two forms of custody, 1) legal custody, which has to do with decision making rights, and 2) physcial custody, which has to do with where the child lives. Someone getting full custody would have to be awarded both.

These days, joint legal custody is virtually a given (joint decision making). A parent would almost have to be an axe murderer to not get joint legal custody......and even if the parents lived thousands of miles apart, it is possible for a judge to order joint physical custody, even if the timeshare isn't 50/50.

CaseyJones

Thank you for the answer to the custody question. I checked the calculators for support and they equal just about what the schooling costs are.

Our joint order says that there is a fifty mile limit on either one of us as far as residence. How does this change or does it change where visitation occurs.

I dont have a problem at all with our daughter seeing her mother. I just dont want to get caught allowing her mom to do something that goes against the court order or end up losing my child because her mom refuses to let her come back home.

CJane

Our joint order says that there is a fifty mile limit on either one of us as far as residence. How does this change or does it change where visitation occurs.
You current order is in effect until it's modified. So, you need to file to do that. You can google a long-distance parenting plan, but a general guideline is that the parent who moved away is the parent who pays for transportation... the parent who moved away should generally have 1 weekend/month (minimum), spring break, long weekends from school, every other christmas/thanksgiving/etc, 1/2 of the christmas break and 6 weeks in the summer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">