• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad needs situational help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Farfalla

While I am sure that some of them want to get to know their other parent better, its far more likely that its more of a "grass is greener" mentality with a lot of teens. Many of them spend mostly quality time with that parent, so then assume that living with them will be like that all the time...particularly if they are rebelling against the rules and discipline being maintained at the custodial parent's home.

Its also not uncommon for some teens to gravitate towards the same sex parent.

However, unless the custodial parent agrees, its not going to happen without a trip to court, and judges react very badly to parents who try to keep the kids after summer visitation. Several members here can attest to that, first hand.
Yes in some cases there is also the 'grass is greener' thing going on.

In this case, there are no court documents making either of them the custodial parents. The parents are still married. So both parents have equal rights to the child.

oreowing1

Yes in some cases there is also the 'grass is greener' thing going on.

In this case, there are no court documents making either of them the custodial parents. The parents are still married. So both parents have equal rights to the child.
thank you farfalla for clarifing that. i was already aware that custodial parent and summer visitation does not apply here. I know that i have absolutly no hope at custody. my wife is a single mom raising 2 children. she is continually crying poverty and simply does not have enough time in the day to concentrate on work and raising 2 children. before my son came here this year, i never thought in a million years that my sons wishes were to move here and try to get a fresh start. these are not my words, these are his words. i lived in vegas for 23 years, and the school system is terrible(48 out of 50). when my son talked to her about moving here, she steadfastly said no. for the reasons stated above, it makes so much sense. my wife is thinking more with her heart, than with her brain. i also talked to 3 of my 5 sisters who have children and they told me that if they lived on the street, they still would have done whatever it took to keep there children.

LdiJ

thank you farfalla for clarifing that. i was already aware that custodial parent and summer visitation does not apply here. I know that i have absolutly no hope at custody. my wife is a single mom raising 2 children. she is continually crying poverty and simply does not have enough time in the day to concentrate on work and raising 2 children. before my son came here this year, i never thought in a million years that my sons wishes were to move here and try to get a fresh start. these are not my words, these are his words. i lived in vegas for 23 years, and the school system is terrible(48 out of 50). when my son talked to her about moving here, she steadfastly said no. for the reasons stated above, it makes so much sense. my wife is thinking more with her heart, than with her brain. i also talked to 3 of my 5 sisters who have children and they told me that if they lived on the street, they still would have done whatever it took to keep there children.
In this instance, while technically you both have equal rights, mom has "status quo" on her side. Which is why I think that it would do you a lot of damage to just try to keep the child.

You need to return him, but if you feel strongly about it you can still file for custody. You would have to do so in NV.

oreowing1

thank you all

In this instance, while technically you both have equal rights, mom has "status quo" on her side. Which is why I think that it would do you a lot of damage to just try to keep the child.

You need to return him, but if you feel strongly about it you can still file for custody. You would have to do so in NV.
well, for someone who wasnt sure about child custody, i certainly got a quick lesson. my hopes were that a minor has a choice at where he wants to reside, even at 16, would be okay. i have never thought for a second that i had a chance at a custody hearing and thats why i havn't filed for devorce, or tried to obtain custody. i really thought it would be easier than this. now i have to break my sons heart, as i have done before. i want to personally thank everyone for there kind thoughts about me and my recovery, but this was never about me, its about the rights of a child. he is a strong young man, and :(he will get over it. thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">