• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad passed 9 months ago,executrix still speaks nothing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

No Closure

What is the name of your state? I live in Rhode Island. My father passed away on October 17,2004.... very sadly missed! He lived with a lady friend for about 8 years. She is NOT a blood relative! When he moved into her home years ago he took all the things that were in OUR home..... paintings, furniture, Persian rugs..all my childhood memories! Before he passed there was a will made...... many times that lady friend of his would say to me : your father has made ME executrix! At that time i thought nothing of it! After his passing i made a phone call to her asking about my fathers last wishes , her answer to me was: Thats funny, your brothers have not asked me a thing;! I once before making that call went to see her asking her if she was settled with monies , her answer to me was 'N' with the money your father has left me i am thinking of buying a new car! She has 2 already!
My brothers and i did recieve a check from his life insurance but as for his will ...she has not spoken a word about it. When i had that conversation with her on the phone i asked her the name of my father lawyer ....... spending much time looking for the name i came up with nothing! It has been 9 months and she still has not done a thing of what an honest executrix should do. I am NOT able to go to her home for i know i will get upset .. my dads chair is there, all my memories sit in that house....... i did call her . I do not know what to do! I know there are monies left to all three children. She makes NO move! We are all adults so there are no minors to think about.
I need some legal advice for i do not want to open my mouth unless i know what i am talking about.Each day passes i still think about my dad . Fathers day came and went .... i get so stuck* I miss him and still find myself in tears.He is all we had growing up , my mother left us all when we were very young. I have NO CLOSURE ! I go to his grave and sit there , i miss his face! I want HIS CHAIR or: for it to be given to my younger brother! As the time passes i wait and still nothing . Legal matters that an executrix should do would have been taken care of in 9 months don`t you think?
P.S. When i asked her about my fathers will and his lawyer, thinking that we would have been called to a meeting with lawyer, brothers and lady friend....she laughed and said," N " thats only done in movies! I come to you for help before i make a move..... What should i do??
NO CLOSURE in Rhode Island

JETX

No Closure said:
What should i do??
You need to contact a competent probate attorney in RI, who can make a demand for a will.... and if none is 'found', then assert the heirs rightful claim to his estate. If they were not married at the time of his death, she would have NO right to any claim against his estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">