• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad Refusing to Bring Child Home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaizen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

Under what, if any, circumstance can a NCP refuse to bring a child home claiming he is concerned about his safety? It's relevant to note that CPS has allegedly been called already, but have not reached out to me, the CP.

Dad's claiming CPS told him he could keep our son against the court order because he is concerned for his safety. Can he?

justalayman

it's going to be up to the courts to determine if his claims are enough to justify refusing to comply with a court order.

That is, if you file the proper actions in court so dad will have to justify the retention.

kaizen

There was an incident in our home last Wed. morning. I disciplined my son and he claimed abuse. He brought the cops into it. They filed no charges, etc.

Sunday night I have a text from Dad saying the plan is to bring son home Monday. Evidently, he changed his tune sometime on Monday as son did not return home.

This is the third time that son alleges abuse. He knows how to play the system.

PQN

Let dad know that if he does not return your son, you will be filing in court for contempt. Then do so.

If your son is not already in counseling, get him into counseling.

How old is your son? When you punished him, did you use corporal punishment?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I think posting h/x is a must-read. OP - have you followed through with the CPS recommendations from the past episodes?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
There was an incident in our home last Wed. morning. I disciplined my son and he claimed abuse. He brought the cops into it. They filed no charges, etc.

Sunday night I have a text from Dad saying the plan is to bring son home Monday. Evidently, he changed his tune sometime on Monday as son did not return home.

This is the third time that son alleges abuse. He knows how to play the system.
How old is your child and how did you discipline him? If you know he plays the system, maybe you should change how you discipline him.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
How old is your child and how did you discipline him? If you know he plays the system, maybe you should change how you discipline him.
Based on h/x, he is 15ish. And there has been CPS involvement in the past, recommendations of which OP has been reluctant to follow.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I don't often suggest this -- but you should listen to the CPS recommendations. Why? Because at this point you are doing yourself no favors. I am not telling you to share with CPS the results but get a psychological evaluation for yourself. Then follow those recommendations.

CJane

This can't be a surprise to you, Kaizen. I'm sorry... but this has been brewing for so so long.

Kiddo is a master at playing the system. And you. And Dad. And y'all just keep on playing tug of war with him.

Antigone*

Kaizen has not taken the advice previously given. Why does she keep coming back for more if she just doesn't listen. :confused:

kaizen

FTR, I have taken previous advice.

I cooperated fully with the last investigation which wound up being closed.

Now I'm off to deal with this in the court, per the new advice given here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">