• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

damaged credit due to incarceration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rico24

My credit is ruined since I was suddenly and unexpectedly imprisoned. I was in prison in Colorado for 2 years. Obviously, I couldn't pay any of my bills while I was in prison.
Now, I have a good job, with the same company since my release. I have a substantial stable income but I can't get credit.
Are there any hidden laws pertaining to credit for felons? Are there any resources out there for me?
Again, I live in Colorado.
Thanks!

D

David J. Miller

No, I'm sorry but there are not any special priviledges for felons. You'll have to work very hard to payoff all of your debt in order to repair your credit.

This is a good thing, since idle hands are the devils work-shop.

crager34

credit problems

Assignment of a debt to a collection agency relieves you of any liability to pay, not only your original creditor, but also subsequent collectors. Banks are prohibited by accounting regulations from loaning money. Secured debts such as your mortgage could be canceled because of disclosure violations of the Truth in Lending Laws.

You can do this on your own or spend a little money and use the services of http://www.dueprocess.org I have used them and they work. Yes!! This is a plug for this place, but you don't have to use them....the choice is yours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">