• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Date of Disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mpac1365

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Is it possible to contest the date of disability five years later?
When I got approved for SS/D, I didn't like their date of disability, and, it has always bothered me...

getitdone

No. When your claim was awarded, you had 60 days to file an appeal if you were not satisfied with any of the facts of your case. If the issue bothered you five years ago, you should have done something about it at that time.

mpac1365

What about

I have a mental disability that I claim hindered any decison making on my part (which, is true). Could a good lawyer get the case reopened?

getitdone

I doubt it. You can check with an attorney, but I'd be surprised if you were successful. You'd have to have proof from your medical sources that you were unable to make sound decisions and therefore couldn't contact Social Security to file an appeal. For five years. Come on.

If you pursue this and can get proof that you've been truly that mentally challenged, be prepared to have Social Security tell you that you need a representative payee to handle your money for you. Have you been making your own financial decisions all this time?

My advice is let it go. Your claim was approved and you're getting paid. Lots of people out there would like to be in your shoes.

mpac1365

doubt it

I sincerely doubt that anyone would want to be in my shoes if they knew how old and worn the shoes are.

And, I am that mentally challenged that I do not make many rational decisions, and, I already have a representative payee that has been my payee since I got on disability.

As it turns out, my payee stole 11 grand from me and I am going to social security office tomorrow with my new representative payee, and, to have old representative payee investigated for misuse and mishandling of funds.

Thanks for the info...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">