• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter in Residential Care - dep status?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The state is California.

My 15 year old daughter has been in a residential care facility for this entire year. The first 100 days paid for by insurance, then about 30 days out of pocket and the balance has been paid for by the County of Los Angeles (under AB3632).
Will there be a problem listing her as my dependent on my fed or state tax returns?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sorry - I should have read things more...

I should have looked a little closer at the Federal information. The instructions for form 1040 for 2005 say:

Exception to time lived with you. A person is considered to have lived with you for all of 2005 if the person was born or died in 2005 and your home was this person’s home for the entire time he or she was alive. Temporary absences for special circumstances, such as for school, vacation, medical care, military service or detention in a juvenile facility, count as time lived with you.
(Italics added by me)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">