• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughters Braces

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CourtClerk

$1,500 is very cheap for braces. It is so cheap it is actually scary. My daughter's braces (both of them) were approximately $5000.

I would be very weary of using such a cheap orthodontist.
My out of pocket is only $1100. I've had my dentist for almost as long as I've been an adult. Not scared, just darn good insurance.

Antigone*

My out of pocket is only $1100. I've had my dentist for almost as long as I've been an adult. Not scared, just darn good insurance.
The way I read the OP's post, it was not clear about insurance coverage. They just stated that Willamette dental was cheaper. I took that to mean that there would be no insurance pay out at all ~ that's why I said what I said.

I too paid about $1,000 OOP.;)

saleen556

I just don't understand how she can dictate orthodontics when it is specifically in the decree that i make the decision. It's not a huge amount of money and i am also paying the same extra expense.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I just don't understand how she can dictate orthodontics when it is specifically in the decree that i make the decision. It's not a huge amount of money and i am also paying the same extra expense.
You may find yourself paying everything but half of what HER insurance would have cost OOP.

mistoffolees

You may find yourself paying everything but half of what HER insurance would have cost OOP.
Maybe, but:

1. The out of pocket difference isn't as large as the initial figures indicated. It looks like $1200 each OOP vs $750. And that $1200 can be paid over time - we don't know if the $750 needed to be paid all at once.
2. OP has sole legal which technically gives him the right to make that decision - as long as he has any rational, legitimate reason for choosing the one he did.

If OP has good reasons for choosing the provider he did (interviewed past customers, checked complaints online, etc), then he's got a good chance of prevailing.

LdiJ

She cannot "dictate" orthodontics. She cannot "dictate" anything. You have the decision making rights. However, if you make a decision that costs her an unnecessary amount of money, she does have the right to protest that.

Now, it turns out that the financial difference is not as bad as you originally stated it was going to be, but there is still an appreciable difference. Therefore the possibility exists that you will only be able to require her to pay 1/2 of what the less expensive option would have been.

The possibility also exists that you can demonstrate that your decision was reasonable and therefore she would have to pay 1/2 of the actual cost.

Keep that in mind going forward dad.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">