• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealership messed up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AlexMG

What is the name of your state? Texas
I brought my car to the dealership for an oil change on the 21st of February, The service advisor handed me the invoice including the 23-point point inspection, everything was good to go. During the week, the car felt a little off while driving. It was 8 days later with a noise coming from the engine and the car having a hard time speeding up that I had my son in law that understands a little about cars look at it. He noticed the noise and checked the oil which happened to be extremely low. I called the dealership explained the issue which ended up with them sending a tow truck and towing my car to their shop. The next morning the service advisor called me and stated that I had defective valves that oil was leaking and burning out of the exhaust and that the engine needs to be replaced and it would run $8500. I was a little shocked since I just had it serviced so I ask why there was no problem detected when I had it in for the oil change which he replied that there was no way for them to see anything by just doing an oil change. Me and my son in law made our way to the dealership just to be told the same thing by the service advisor and service manager. I ask to see the video of the day I had my car in for the oil change. The service manager looked surprised but agreed and had us waiting outside. After about 20 min he called us inside his office and showed us a video where you could see my car but the view on the engine part blocked by a pole. I told the service manager that you can't see anything of the work being done since the pole is in the way in which he responded that this is true. He started to studder and turn red. He pulled an invoice from his desk stating that the mechanic had noticed some problems with my car the day of the oil change and that it was a communication error on their end. I ask for a copy of the invoice which wasn't matching the one I received on the day they serviced my car. It had handwritten notes talking about the exact issues I had called them for, the exact issues they said they wouldn't see by just doing an oil change. He continued by informing me that since they messed up, they would use the lifetime engine warranty that came with the vehicle and if the warranty department approved, they would swap my engine with a used one. He called me a few days later telling me it was approved and ask if i want him to go ahead and get the engine. I told him ok. Engine was replaced about a week later. They called me said my car is ready for pick up. Me and my son in law went to get the car and while driving home we noticed noise coming from under the hood and the car being delate in speeding up. When we got to the house, he opened the hood and the first thing we noticed was what seemed like a bolt missing and cables with a hook attached dangling around as well as a lot of fluid. My neighbor happened to have the same vehicle, so we ask if we could have a look. We compared and sure enough it seemed like there was missing parts. By looking at an engine diagram we found out that one of the engine support brackets was missing, the cables were supposed to be attached to a heat shield that was missing as well. Since the dealership was closed already, I couldn't bring the car back till the next day which happened to be a Saturday. I made my way back to the dealership in the morning, explained the problem to the sales manager since the service manager didn't want to talk to me, also ask for the General Manager he wasn't there so they had me talk to the mechanic that conducted the engine swap. When we showed him the clean spot that clearly showed that it recently had a bolt attached to it, he replied that he doesn't remember if there was a bracket, changed his answer to maybe but if the replacement engine didn't have it he wouldn't be worried about it to that I might lost it when I drove off the lot. About the cables he said they would dangle around anyway he would know that since he used to own the same vehicle in the past. The cables were dangling against the exhaust since they weren't properly attached to the heat shield that was missing as well. They kept my car again and told me they would make it right. A week later I got the call that my car is ready. Again, I was told everything is fine. Almost a week later I'm leaving my house in the am and the engine light comes on. I bring the car back to the dealer they are running a diagnostic check and hit me with that the cat convertoe is bad and needs to be replaced and it will run me over $4000. I really don't feel comfortable with this anymore and trying to find out what actions to take.

quincy

What is the name of your state? Texas
I brought my car to the dealership for an oil change on the 21st of February, The service advisor handed me the invoice including the 23-point point inspection, everything was good to go. During the week, the car felt a little off while driving. It was 8 days later with a noise coming from the engine and the car having a hard time speeding up that I had my son in law that understands a little about cars look at it. He noticed the noise and checked the oil which happened to be extremely low. I called the dealership explained the issue which ended up with them sending a tow truck and towing my car to their shop. The next morning the service advisor called me and stated that I had defective valves that oil was leaking and burning out of the exhaust and that the engine needs to be replaced and it would run $8500. I was a little shocked since I just had it serviced so I ask why there was no problem detected when I had it in for the oil change which he replied that there was no way for them to see anything by just doing an oil change. Me and my son in law made our way to the dealership just to be told the same thing by the service advisor and service manager. I ask to see the video of the day I had my car in for the oil change. The service manager looked surprised but agreed and had us waiting outside. After about 20 min he called us inside his office and showed us a video where you could see my car but the view on the engine part blocked by a pole. I told the service manager that you can't see anything of the work being done since the pole is in the way in which he responded that this is true. He started to studder and turn red. He pulled an invoice from his desk stating that the mechanic had noticed some problems with my car the day of the oil change and that it was a communication error on their end. I ask for a copy of the invoice which wasn't matching the one I received on the day they serviced my car. It had handwritten notes talking about the exact issues I had called them for, the exact issues they said they wouldn't see by just doing an oil change. He continued by informing me that since they messed up, they would use the lifetime engine warranty that came with the vehicle and if the warranty department approved, they would swap my engine with a used one. He called me a few days later telling me it was approved and ask if i want him to go ahead and get the engine. I told him ok. Engine was replaced about a week later. They called me said my car is ready for pick up. Me and my son in law went to get the car and while driving home we noticed noise coming from under the hood and the car being delate in speeding up. When we got to the house, he opened the hood and the first thing we noticed was what seemed like a bolt missing and cables with a hook attached dangling around as well as a lot of fluid. My neighbor happened to have the same vehicle, so we ask if we could have a look. We compared and sure enough it seemed like there was missing parts. By looking at an engine diagram we found out that one of the engine support brackets was missing, the cables were supposed to be attached to a heat shield that was missing as well. Since the dealership was closed already, I couldn't bring the car back till the next day which happened to be a Saturday. I made my way back to the dealership in the morning, explained the problem to the sales manager since the service manager didn't want to talk to me, also ask for the General Manager he wasn't there so they had me talk to the mechanic that conducted the engine swap. When we showed him the clean spot that clearly showed that it recently had a bolt attached to it, he replied that he doesn't remember if there was a bracket, changed his answer to maybe but if the replacement engine didn't have it he wouldn't be worried about it to that I might lost it when I drove off the lot. About the cables he said they would dangle around anyway he would know that since he used to own the same vehicle in the past. The cables were dangling against the exhaust since they weren't properly attached to the heat shield that was missing as well. They kept my car again and told me they would make it right. A week later I got the call that my car is ready. Again, I was told everything is fine. Almost a week later I'm leaving my house in the am and the engine light comes on. I bring the car back to the dealer they are running a diagnostic check and hit me with that the cat convertoe is bad and needs to be replaced and it will run me over $4000. I really don't feel comfortable with this anymore and trying to find out what actions to take.
A few questions first: When you first took your car in for the oil change, had you noticed any problems with your car or were you just at the dealership for regular maintenance? Why didn’t you inspect the car and do a test drive while still at the dealership?

I would take your car to another dealership for an inspection before returning to the first dealership.

AlexMG

The car was fine and just in for an oil change. It's a big dealership so I guess I trusted them with working on my car. I picked the car up that day right before they closed shop for the day so I had to wait till next day.

quincy

The car was fine and just in for an oil change. It's a big dealership so I guess I trusted them with working on my car. I picked the car up that day right before they closed shop for the day so I had to wait till next day.
Thank you for answering my questions.

The only time I ever had problems with one of my cars was when I took it to a “big dealership” for a pre-trip inspection and instructions to make any necessary repairs. After a near-accident as a direct result of dealership failures, I now avoid the big dealerships and rely on trusted local mechanics.

It appears that your dealership might have failed you, too. However, showing a connection between the problems you’re having with your car and the dealership’s role in creating these problems might be difficult. You will want your car’s maintenance and repair history prior to your visit to the dealership to compare to its history after the visit to the dealership. Although new car problems crop up as a car ages, it seems unlikely that so many occurred after an oil change.

Again, having a new inspection seems necessary to better determine if the dealership you went to can be held liable for some or all of the now-needed repairs.

AlexMG

Thank you for answering my questions.

The only time I ever had problems with one of my cars was when I took it to a “big dealership” for a pre-trip inspection and instructions to make any necessary repairs. After a near-accident as a direct result of dealership failures, I now avoid the big dealerships and rely on trusted local mechanics.

It appears that your dealership might have failed you, too. However, showing a connection between the problems you’re having with your car and the dealership’s role in creating these problems might be difficult. You will want your car’s maintenance and repair history prior to your visit to the dealership to compare to its history after the visit to the dealership. Although new car problems crop up as a car ages, it seems unlikely that so many occurred after an oil change.

Again, having a new inspection seems necessary to better determine if the dealership you went to can be held liable for some or all of the now-needed repairs.
Had the car inspected by the master mechanic of the dodge dealership in my town. He found the following. Engine brackets worn out which makes the motor move to much. Engine fluid low and leak. Oil level low. They also forgot to attach another cable. He didn't find any evendence of oil leaking thru the exhaust and burning up like the other dealer told me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">