• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

death threats

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bailey19782000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? tn

my husband is involved in a very messy custody case against his x gf and her mother. a few months ago before all of this started i was trying to be a friend to my husbands x because they share a child and i thouht it would be easier on my step son if everyone involved got along.
I invited her to our home on several occasions but each time she would start acting more and more strange. the last time she came over she was wasted out of her mind and my husband asked her to leave. at that time she left my step son here with his dad. during that time frame my keys came up missing. I have toddlers so of course i tore the place apart looking for them even searched the dumpster of my apartment complex.

i live in an apartment complex that requires a security key to enter the building and to replace that key is 75 bucks. my car keys had to be copied at the dealership so of course replacing the set of keys was pricey so i put it off as long as i could.

a few months ago my husbands x lost her kids to the welfare (dont want to go into that). of course my husband stepped up and is trying to obtain custody of his son and thats when all of this started. his had been texting us and calling us and even other people claiming that if he gets custody she will kill him, their son, and herself. we didnt pay this too much mind until we found out she stold the keys to our apartment.
her dad found them in her bedroom at his house and gave them back to me only the keys to the security door and the apartment dead bolt are missing. i asked the apartment complex to change locks and the refused because it would be too expensive.
should we file a police report on this? we tried to get a restraining order but because she lives so far away they said it wouldnt have any jurisdiction.

File a trespass warning against the ex-girlfriend, this will work somewhat like a restraining order and can be done through the local police. Don't take no for an answer from the PD it is their job to protect and enforce the law. No matter where she lives the jurisdiction for the restraining order would be your county. Your apartment may not wish to change the outside door key but may agree to change your deadbolt for a small fee ($50). If they will not agree then you may have a reason to legally break your lease. If the ex is calling and texting death threats you need to report it each time so something can be done about it. Do not call 911, call the PD non-emergency number and file a complaint each time. Eventually something will be done. Best of luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">