• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt Collectors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

h_o_troy

What is the name of your state? California

I am in debt (about $25,000) and have not paid in the last year. My ex-husband had quit his job and I was receiving $600.00 extra every month. Without it all my bills became so late because I relied on it. I know my fault. Now, I still can not afford to pay the debts and they are calling constantly. Should I continue to ignore them or can they try and garnish my wages? I rent and do not own property at all and I do want to clear these debts. Any suggestions?

B

big_rob

There is a federal law, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act that can prevent creditors from contacting you by phone. They would only be allowed to communicate with you only by mail. Here is a link to a sample letter that you can use:

http://www.budhibbs.com/budhibbs/cease_communication.asp

Make sure that you send this letter Certified Mail with return receipt. And remember, this FDCPA will only protect you if the creditors that are calling you are NOT original creditors.

These creditors, however, CAN eventually sue you and garnish your wages, but that can take a while and they will need to obtain a lawyer to do so.

H

h_o_troy

Thanks!

Thanks so much for your quick reply. The link is very helpful and I will mail it out ASAP!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">