• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Default Asked to Fill Out 1099 2 Months After Quiting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Got it, so this would legally suffice? They actually sent me a W9 just now. I'd be curious as to your thoughts there. Thank you.
On another forum that you posted on a tax attorney told you that if they asked you for the w9 after the end of the year, you were not legally required to provide it.

As I said, you are legally obligated to report the money that you earned on your tax return. If you did not properly track that money, that is a problem.

My concern for you providing an SSN to someone who is angry with you is due to experience. At least once a year I have a client who has received a 1099 for anywhere from 2 to 10 times as much as they were actually paid, from an angry ex business owner who just wanted to make their life difficult, while padding their own expenses. About once every couple of years I run into someone who pads ALL of the IC's 1099's just to help themselves.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The OP said, they were opposed to his leaving. Where is all this furious anger you keep seeing mentioned?

LdiJ

The OP said, they were opposed to his leaving. Where is all this furious anger you keep seeing mentioned?
The initial statement was that they were "quite opposed to him leaving". To me, that is a euphemism for seriously ticked off.

OP, if that is not what you meant, would you please clarify what you meant?

snick28

The initial statement was that they were "quite opposed to him leaving". To me, that is a euphemism for seriously ticked off.

OP, if that is not what you meant, would you please clarify what you meant?
Hi, thanks for all the responses so far!

Yes, they were very oppossed to me leaving, as if I was leaving a family or relationship as oppossed to a job. Quite odd and really not a fun situation to go through. Hence, my hesitation in providing them with any communications, esp regarding my past wages and SSN.

UPDATE: I was pleasantly surprised to get an email respoonse from them admitting they should have asked for this before and that they didn't know they'd need to claim/report on myself and the other riders. They are new to the business side of things, it seems.

With that, I did submit a W9 to them, including my SSN.

Also, I have record of what I was paid, so I'll be able to match this up with what they claim.

eerelations

Hi, thanks for all the responses so far!

Yes, they were very oppossed to me leaving, as if I was leaving a family or relationship as oppossed to a job. Quite odd and really not a fun situation to go through. Hence, my hesitation in providing them with any communications, esp regarding my past wages and SSN.

UPDATE: I was pleasantly surprised to get an email respoonse from them admitting they should have asked for this before and that they didn't know they'd need to claim/report on myself and the other riders. They are new to the business side of things, it seems.

With that, I did submit a W9 to them, including my SSN.

Also, I have record of what I was paid, so I'll be able to match this up with what they claim.
You did the right thing. Now start saving some money so's you can pay your taxes when they come due (sometime in late April 2018).

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The deadline this year is April 17th.
Due to Emancipation Day in the District of Columbia being Monday the 16th. :D The extension for filing as a result this DC holiday has always most curious to me because I don’t see the rationale for it. It’s not like the IRS national office and IRS DC field offices shut down for this holiday; they only close for federal holidays. And the Service Centers that process returns are not located in DC and would not be affected anyway. In any event, the rule is what it is, even though it may not make sense.

LdiJ

Due to Emancipation Day in the District of Columbia being Monday the 16th. :D The extension for filing as a result this DC holiday has always most curious to me because I don’t see the rationale for it. It’s not like the IRS national office and IRS DC field offices shut down for this holiday; they only close for federal holidays. And the Service Centers that process returns are not located in DC and would not be affected anyway. In any event, the rule is what it is, even though it may not make sense.
I know, its definitely an oddity...and it seems to happen more often than not in the last 10 years. Its always a weird sort of thing for me, because during the tax season my only day off is Monday. However, our busiest day of the tax season is always the day before the deadline, (oddly, not the deadline itself) so I often get called into work on that day. When I was younger it was easier to give up that day off, but the older I get the harder that gets.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's more than Emancipation Day. The third Monday in April, which this year is April 16th, is a state holiday in Massachusetts and Maine.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
It's more than Emancipation Day. The third Monday in April, which this year is April 16th, is a state holiday in Massachusetts and Maine.
Well, when you like on a peninsula that is occasionally an island, you kind of depend on having an open port for supplies like food. So getting rid of the Brits blockading bay is worth celebrating...

It is not a coincidence that Evacuation Day shares the same date as St Patrick's Day...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">