• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Default Judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justastick

What is the name of your state? TX

I have a hearing to determine child support and plan to seek full custody. I was told if my ex-boyfriend dosen't show their would be a default judgement. What exactly is a default judgement and how might it affect child support and custody?

tigger22472

justastick said:
What is the name of your state? TX

I have a hearing to determine child support and plan to seek full custody. I was told if my ex-boyfriend dosen't show their would be a default judgement. What exactly is a default judgement and how might it affect child support and custody?
If it can be proven your ex was properly served the judge COULD issue a default which basically means you will get what you are asking for within the realm of the law.

gemini1970

I THINK (not sure) that they will make an estimate as to how
much he makes without his input and enter an order for child
support. Then I believe he has a certain number of days to respond
and if he disagrees with the amount determined he can submit
his tax information and the amount will be recalculated.

Grace_Adler

Default means failure to appear. So if he doesn't show, you will win by default, meaning as was stated.. failure to appear. So if he doesn't show, then you will win by default. Same thing happened to my dh. He wasn't served properly and so he didn't know about the hearing and the other party won by default.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">