• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defective Product

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needto1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I recently purchased a firearm from a local retailer. The local retailer's policy on returns on firearms is "All Firearm Sale Are Final". If you have a problem you have to go through the Manufacturer. The firearm was defective out of the box. It will not eject shells. I returned the firearm to the Manufacturer with a description of the problem based on their return policy. I had to pay the shipping to get the gun back to the manufacturer even though the gun is defective. I cannot reach the Manufacturer by phone on their 800 number because it is busy all the time. I believe, according to their return policy they expect me to pay the shipping to get a replacement gun back (even though I have not heard from them). I put a description of the problem in writing, all my contact numbers,
based on their return policy. How am I suppose to get any information on this claim if I cannot reach them and they won't return a call to me? What are my options in a case like this? The Retailer has my money, the Manufacturer has my gun. What can I do? They have had the gun for over a week and I don't have a problem with that but I would like for somebody to give me a call and let me know what their intentions are. Thanks for listening.

T.J.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

needto1

Racer72,

I forgot to mention that I got the tracking number when I shipped the firearm back to the Manufacturer. They received the gun but I have not been able to contact them to find out
what they intend to do about it.

Thanks,
T.J.

needto1

BL,

The Manufacturer (Marlin) has a Web Site but they do not give you an e/mail address to contact them.

All they give you is a mailing address, switchboard number and a toll free number to contact them. Sounds pretty good for them doesn't it.

I've tried to reach them over a long period of time on their 800 number and all you get is a busy signal. I called their switchboard number and I get a clerk that puts you on hold and tries to send you to the service dept where the 800 number works and of course you sit on
hold until the phone system kicks you out or gives you their fax number on a recording.

I've faxed them messages and got a call back on my voicemail several hours later because I didn't have any idea which of my contact numbers they would call. I have not been able to talk to anyone in the service dept.

Thanks for your time,
T.J.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
BL,

The Manufacturer (Marlin) has a Web Site but they do not give you an e/mail address to contact them.

All they give you is a mailing address, switchboard number and a toll free number to contact them. Sounds pretty good for them doesn't it.

I've tried to reach them over a long period of time on their 800 number and all you get is a busy signal. I called their switchboard number and I get a clerk that puts you on hold and tries to send you to the service dept where the 800 number works and of course you sit on
hold until the phone system kicks you out or gives you their fax number on a recording.

I've faxed them messages and got a call back on my voicemail several hours later because I didn't have any idea which of my contact numbers they would call. I have not been able to talk to anyone in the service dept.

Thanks for your time,
T.J.
I suggest you try faxing again, but stay near the number that you give.

needto1

BL,

I will fax them again,,,,If I ever get this resolved I hope I have learned enough not to go down this path again.

It certainly has opened my eyes. Years ago I would not have hesitated to purchase a firearm from this Manufacturer because I have owned several of them. I always viewed their products as very good quality. Things have certainly changed.

Thanks Again for your time,,I hope I can report a decent ending to this situation.

T.J.

needto1

Thanks to all of you for your time,,,,I faxed Marlin. I'm in the waiting mode now. Since their product was bad out of the box, I hope they agree to pay the shipping and send me a replacement gun.

I'll wait and see what they intend to do before going any further,,,do you have any suggestions on what would be a reasonable amount of time to give them before I take the
next step (whatever that is)?

T.J.

needto1

Good News to report, I got a call back from Marlin. I have not received my gun yet but they gave me a repair number. They told me they would be shipping a gun back to me as soon as they got the claim processed free of shipping charges.

I just thought it might be good to be reporting some good news for a change.

Thanks to all for your time and information.

T.J.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Good News to report, I got a call back from Marlin. I have not received my gun yet but they gave me a repair number. They told me they would be shipping a gun back to me as soon as they got the claim processed free of shipping charges.

I just thought it might be good to be reporting some good news for a change.

Thanks to all for your time and information.

T.J.
Glad it's working out - thanks for the update.

racer72

Racer72,

I shipped it to them UPS Insured.

T.J.
There is a reason for asking that question. It is generally illegal for individuals to ship guns, whether through UPS or other companies. They must be shipped by a licensed dealer or others that are allowed by law, the recipient must meet the same requirements. Your gun could very well be on hold at a UPS facility and will not arrive at the manufacturer. Any package that is shipped by air is check by X-ray for illegal items. You may want to contact UPS and find out the status of your shipment.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">