• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Definition of non-essential employee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Apparently, there is an employee in my building that went home sick yesterday... out today... and the word is he could be back next week or they don't know when he is coming back. The cleaning crew from the other building was here yesterday wiping down his desk. Now that's a little to close for comfort now..... They could quaranteen the building if this is a positive case????
Your employer may be forced to rethink who is essential and who is not, who must come into work and who should work from home.

quincy

It is quite likely NJ will be ordered to shelter in place starting this w/e...
Michigan’s Governor today had to squelch “shelter in place” rumors for Michigan because she has made no decision yet. She said she is considering everything, though.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Michigan’s Governor today had to squelch “shelter in place” rumors for Michigan because she has made no decision yet. She said she is considering everything, though.
We're pushing 900 cases, 11 deaths. So I think it's more likely than not... Murphy (our gov.) says he'll close all non-essential businesses...

LdiJ

We are ordered to shelter in place now, however my industry is considered to be "essential" so we are still working. My boss however is allowing anyone who doesn't want to come to work to not come to work. We have it down to a science, doing everything without any face to face contact.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Can the employer deny people the right to wear a mask at work.
The employer might run afoul of federal and/or state employee safety laws by doing that in this current pandemic situation. The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has prepared guidance on what employers should do, which you can see here: Employer COVID-19 guidance. Your state may also have rules for employee safety that would apply here.

elmxl88

I have tried so many different numbers. I will reach out to OSHA in NY tomorrow. The Gov of NY tweeted today that "no one who can do their job from home should be going to work … we must have 100% compliance". He notes "inquiries about failures to comply should be directed to.. and he gives a number.

After my discussion with one of my bosses yesterday regarding my concern about coming in, etc. and how she says we need all hands on deck" she worked from home today. No lie!

Last edited:

quincy

I have tried so many different numbers. I will reach out to OSHA in NY tomorrow. The Gov of NY tweeted today that "no one who can do their job from home should be going to work … we must have 100% compliance". He notes "inquiries about failures to comply should be directed to.. and he gives a number.

After my discuss with one of my bosses yesterday regarding my concern about coming in, etc. and how she says we need all hands on deck" she worked from home today. No lie!
Well ... there is some good support behind your reason for staying home.

Good luck.

elmxl88

I will fill out the form but omit the company information. Might be a way for me to ask the question without getting caught and losing my job. Thanks Stealth2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">