• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Definition of Parking? --> No Parking Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

surfer349

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

So I got a parking ticket on my car while it was parked on my driveway. It was the standard "No Parking" sign. No Parking 10-2 Monday, with an arrow pointing to that side of the street. Anyway, my car was parked with all the tires fully on my driveway, with only a little bit of the bumper hanging out into the street, where the the driveway ends.

The ticket states that I was impeding the street sweeper. I don't disagree that it impedes the street sweeper to have a bumper hanging out, but I do disagree with using that as an citable offense. The sign says "No Parking" on the street during that time. Isn't that fact that all my tires were on my driveway an argument that I wasn't "on" the street, or that since the car was parked on the driveway, it wasn't "on" the street?

Does anyone know the exact definition or interpretation of this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

So I got a parking ticket on my car while it was parked on my driveway. It was the standard "No Parking" sign. No Parking 10-2 Monday, with an arrow pointing to that side of the street. Anyway, my car was parked with all the tires fully on my driveway, with only a little bit of the bumper hanging out into the street, where the the driveway ends.

The ticket states that I was impeding the street sweeper. I don't disagree that it impedes the street sweeper to have a bumper hanging out, but I do disagree with using that as an citable offense. The sign says "No Parking" on the street during that time. Isn't that fact that all my tires were on my driveway an argument that I wasn't "on" the street, or that since the car was parked on the driveway, it wasn't "on" the street?

The cite was appropriate

CdwJava

The ticket states that I was impeding the street sweeper. I don't disagree that it impedes the street sweeper to have a bumper hanging out, but I do disagree with using that as an citable offense.
But ... you just admitted that the way you parked your car impeded the street sweeper. :confused: You may not like the citation, but you effectively admit that it was valid.

The sign says "No Parking" on the street during that time. Isn't that fact that all my tires were on my driveway an argument that I wasn't "on" the street, or that since the car was parked on the driveway, it wasn't "on" the street?

It is usually defined to include no part of a vehicle, but it really depends upon the section you were cited under and whether or not this is defined. Please provide the code section. if it was a municipal or county code, please provide the city and county so we can look those up.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">