• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defrauding state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bclaph01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

I am now starting to go through a divorce. My common law wife of over 6 years is now contesting that we were ever married. I have two affidavits from insurance companies in which we had benefits through that she signed and they are notarized stating we are common law. The reason she would never walk down the isle is she was receiving benefits from the state of Kansas for the children, and did not want to lose them. She received daycare expenses, health dental and vision, and also food programs. What kind of trouble will she get into if I turn her in. Could the state go after me for knowing this. I have also been paying child support while we lived together for 71/2 years.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, you were complicit in defrauding *either* the state *or* the insurance company.

Pick one...neither is going to be pretty.

BL

I am now starting to go through a divorce. My common law wife of over 6 years is now contesting that we were ever married. I have two affidavits from insurance companies in which we had benefits through that she signed and they are notarized stating we are common law. The reason she would never walk down the isle is she was receiving benefits from the state of Kansas for the children, and did not want to lose them. She received daycare expenses, health dental and vision, and also food programs. What kind of trouble will she get into if I turn her in. Could the state go after me for knowing this. I have also been paying child support while we lived together for 71/2 years.
Kansas: For a man and woman to form a common-law marriage, they must: (1) have the mental capacity to marry; (2) agree to be married at the present time; and (3) represent to the public that they are married.
You also agreed you were married with the insurance Co's.

Do you expect this forum to tell you , no you won't get in trouble ,go a head turn her in .

You didn't have a problem living with her and collecting from the State either.

Perhaps you encouraged her to file for Ins. the way she did ,we have no clue .

Smells fishy to me . Usually if it smells like a fish,it's a fish.

Did you pay CS through the State collection Agency ?

Last edited:

Proserpina

Why are you only now wanting to report her?

Are the children actually yours, btw?

CourtClerk

I'm also going to guess that the food she bought with those food stamps is also food you ate...

which makes you complicit in defrauding the welfare system. She goes down, so do you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">