• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deposition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is the purpose of the signature in an agreement?
Is it to identify who made the agreement and to verify that the agreement was made?
Doesn't the recording of the verbal agreement do that?
Look... The details matter. The state, for one. Whether the recording was done legally, for another.

And we don't do hypotheticals or "for the sake of arguments". Those are best saved for between toilet seats at the local pub.

HRZ

So far, the strength of this oral agreement is akin to the strength of wet toilet paper

Get it in writing and entered as part of order.

PayrollHRGuy

ORS 41.580¹

Statute of frauds

In the following cases the agreement is void unless it, or some note or memorandum thereof, expressing the consideration, is in writing and subscribed by the party to be charged, or by the lawfully authorized agent of the party; evidence, therefore, of the agreement shall not be received other than the writing, or secondary evidence of its contents in the cases prescribed by law:

(a)An agreement that by its terms is not to be performed within a year from the making.

(b)An agreement to answer for the debt, default or miscarriage of another.

(c)An agreement by an executor or administrator to pay the debts of the testator or intestate out of the estate of the executor or administrator.

(d)An agreement made upon consideration of marriage, other than a mutual promise to marry.

(e)An agreement for the leasing for a longer period than one year, or for the sale of real property, or of any interest therein.

(f)An agreement concerning real property made by an agent of the party sought to be charged unless the authority of the agent is in writing.

(g)An agreement authorizing or employing an agent or broker to sell or purchase real estate for a compensation or commission; but if the note or memorandum of the agreement is in writing and subscribed by the party to be charged, or by the lawfully authorized agent of the party, and contains a description of the property sufficient for identification, and authorizes or employs the agent or broker to sell the property, and expresses with reasonable certainty the amount of the commission or compensation to be paid, the agreement shall not be void for failure to state a consideration.

(h)An agreement, promise or commitment to lend money, to otherwise extend credit, to forbear with respect to the repayment of any debt payable in money, to modify or amend the terms under which the person has lent money or otherwise extended credit, to release any guarantor or cosigner or to make any other financial accommodation pertaining to an existing debt or other extension of credit. This paragraph does not apply:

(A)If no party to the agreement, promise or commitment is a financial institution as defined in ORS 706.008 (Additional definitions for Bank Act), a consumer finance company licensed under ORS chapter 725 or a mortgage banker as defined in ORS 86A.100 (Definitions); or

(B)To a loan of money or extension of credit to a natural person which is primarily for personal, family or household purposes and not for business or agricultural purposes or which is secured solely by residential property consisting of one to four dwelling units, one of which is the primary residence of the debtor.

(2)(a) Except as provided in this subsection, defenses and exceptions created by provisions of the Oregon Revised Statutes or recognized by the courts of this state do not apply to subsection (1)(h) of this section.

(b)An agreement, promise or commitment which does not satisfy the requirements of subsection (1)(h) of this section, but which is valid in other respects, is enforceable if the party against whom enforcement is sought admits in the party’s pleading, testimony or otherwise in court that the agreement, promise or commitment was made. The agreement is not enforceable under this paragraph beyond the dollar amount admitted.

(c)Nothing in subsection (1)(h) of this section precludes a party from seeking to prove the modification of any term relating to the time of repayment.

(3)(a) If a financial institution as defined in ORS 706.008 (Additional definitions for Bank Act), a consumer finance company licensed under ORS chapter 725 or a mortgage banker as defined in ORS 86A.100 (Definitions) lends money or extends credit, and subsection (1)(h) of this section applies to the loan or extension of credit, the financial institution, consumer finance company or mortgage banker shall, not later than the time the loan or extension of credit is initially made, include within the loan or credit document, or within a separate document which identifies the loan or extension of credit, a statement which is underlined or in at least 10-point bold type and which is substantially to the following effect:

Under Oregon law, most agreements, promises and commitments made by us concerning loans and other credit extensions which are not for personal, family or household purposes or secured solely by the borrower’s residence must be in writing, express consideration and be signed by us to be enforceable.

(b)The financial institution, consumer finance company or mortgage banker shall obtain the borrower’s signature on the original document described in paragraph (a) of this subsection and shall give the borrower a copy. [Amended by 1989 c.967 §§1,19; 1993 c.508 §39; 1997 c.631 §373; 2003 c.386 §1]

Thanks for your reply. This "agreement" was none of those mentioned in the statute of frauds. It was in a deposition recorded by tape recorder. The agreement was about final property division, specifically a 50-50 division after 26 years of marriage.

quincy

Thanks for your reply. This "agreement" was none of those mentioned in the statute of frauds. It was in a deposition recorded by tape recorder. The agreement was about final property division, specifically a 50-50 division after 26 years of marriage.
I recommend you get this agreement in writing and signed by both parties.

Litigator22

What is the purpose of the signature in an agreement?
Is it to identify who made the agreement and to verify that the agreement was made?
Doesn't the recording of the verbal agreement do that?
That is absurd. The very nature of a discovery deposition precludes deposing the opposing parties in the same deposition. Consequently it is infeasible that an agreement between them could be struck (and as you strangely suggest "recorded") during a deposition of either.

Hence, your arguments are founded on an illogical and impractical premise suggesting that they are artificial.

Well, i was deposed and at the end of mine i was asked what i wanted for the property agreement and i said 50-50 split. Then in the same session my wife was deposed and asked the same question at the end of hers and said she wanted the 50-50 split as well. It was all recorded by a voice recorder.

quincy

Well, i was deposed and at the end of mine i was asked what i wanted for the property agreement and i said 50-50 split. Then in the same session my wife was deposed and asked the same question at the end of hers and said she wanted the 50-50 split as well. It was all recorded by a voice recorder.
The agreement should have been committed to writing and signed.

People are allowed to change their minds before signing, if they decide the terms are unsatisfactory and/or not in their best interests.

Sorry. It appears more negotiation will be needed.

"People are allowed to change their minds before signing." This can be said about any verbal agreement. Doesn't what you say invalidate any verbal agreement?

quincy

"People are allowed to change their minds before signing." This can be said about any verbal agreement. Doesn't what you say invalidate any verbal agreement?
I am not sure I understand your question.

Oral agreements can be harder to enforce than written agreements. This is because the parties often remember the agreements differently.

In your case, I do not see that there was any firm commitment between the parties. I see no agreement. Saying "yes, 50/50 is what I want" is not saying that 50/50 is what will ultimately be acceptable when all other factors are considered.

Any agreement between the parties should be in writing and the parties should have time to review the terms prior to signing their consent. Without a written and signed agreement, however, the words spoken in the deposition were just words.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">