• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Designer Eyeglasses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My ex-wife wants me to pay half for designer glasses. They are licensed glasses with cartoons on them. If I were purchasing glasses myself for our child I would not have spent the additional money on designer glasses for an eight year old.

She did not consult me at all about the purchase or the fact that he needed glasses until after the glasses were already bought. So my question is do I have to pay only half of what a typical pair of frames (non-designer) would cost or would I have pay half of full price?

My Marital Settlement Agreement states:
4.2 The parties shall each be responsible for payment of fifty percent
(50%) of all uncovered and unreimbursed medical, dental and optical expenses
incurred on behalf of the parties' children, including co-pays, deductibles, coinsurance
and the like. If a party incurs a medical, dental or optical expense on
behalf of the children, he or she shall provide the other parent with documentation
thereof and the non-paying parent shall reimburse the paying parent within seven
(7) days thereafter.
4.4 For purposes of this Agreement, the phrase "uncovered and
unreimbursed medical, dental and optical expenses" includes, but is not limited to,
expenses incurred on behalf of the children for operations, treatments, medications
and services rendered as a result of accidents, illnesses or conditions requiring
hospitalization or extended care and treatment; chiropractic care and treatment; psychiatric or psychological care and treatment; corrective lenses; contact lenses;
orthodontia, major dental work; and the like.
and the Joint Parenting Agreement:
D. The parties agree that they shall jointly discuss and jointly determine major decisions concerning the children, including, but not limited to: (i) education; (ii) religion; (iii) medical care and choice of physicians, dentists, and the like; and (iv) all other significant questions relating to the health, welfare, and education of the children, except in the case of an emergency. Upon the happening of a medical emergency, the parent with the child or children, or first making contact with the child or children, shall make all necessary decisions during the emergency and shall promptly notify the other parent. Medical and school records, as well as all other information concerning or related to the children shall be made available to both parties. Both parents shall be listed as "emergency contacts" for the child on all medical and school records, and on any form requesting emergency contact information.
1. Each party shall notify the other of any and all communications between the school and himself or herself concerning the children; and both parents shall be welcome at parent activities, such as teacher conferences, and attendance at the children's extracurricular activities. Both parties shall have the right to communicate with teachers, school personnel, counselors, and physicians to discuss the children's standing and progress. In the event there are school or extracurricular programs open to parents, each party shall immediately inform the other of the same and cooperate to facilitate his or her attendance.
2. Each parent shall keep the other parent informed of changes in ongoing therapies, medical treatments, medication changes, and the like on a regular basis.

No vision insurance for the actual glasses only the exam is covered. My half would be $90.50 for one child and $119.25 for the other child for one pair each.

OHRoadwarrior

You do realize that generally speaking depending on the lens type, coatings and frame type, that price might not be that far out of line. Kids need durable lenses and frames. Further, if this is a first pair issue, self esteem can enter the picture. I would offer mom half on that since she was in non compliance. I don't think $100 is going to be a hill to die on for her.

Ladyback1

No vision insurance for the actual glasses only the exam is covered. My half would be $90.50 for one child and $119.25 for the other child for one pair each.
Well, I can tell you that the judge on my case thought the Ex was being an @ss when he refused to pay 1/2 of the out-of-pocket for my oldest son's glasses. (and it was a bit more than you are being asked to pay for 2 pair!)

An 8 y/o that requires glasses is more apt to wear them consistently if the glasses are something they like or are "cool". Is this the first pair of glasses for the kiddo?

What kind of price difference are we talking between plain jane frames vs. fashionable frames? Does the price you are being asked to pay include any sort of repair insurance? Anti-reflective or scratch resistant coating? Any special Rx for the glasses? (my oldest started wearing bifocals at about 12)

Ex was arguing that I shouldn't have gotten anti-glare/teflon coating, nor should I have gotten the transition lenses because they just weren't necessary. Ex did not ask why I chose those options.

Might I suggest you actually ask nicely, calmly and politely about the eye exam and glasses instead of stomping your feet at the cost.

LdiJ

Dad...seriously, that isn't expensive at all. She got a really good deal on the glasses if she got them for double your half. Yes, sometimes its possible to get glasses cheaper than that when there is a sale going on, but she got good prices.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I read "designer glasses" and thought Dolce Gabbana or that ilk. Fail on my part...

When my youngest needed glasses (LOL nearsighted in one eye, farsighted in the other) - it was the lenses that were expensive as each had to compensate for the other. Frames were plain wire. She was 12. Ex refused - told her she could get clunky plastic frames (which would never be worn). Price diferential was $50 for each of us. I paid his half.

single317dad

OP, basically your options are:

1) Pay the bill. At which time, the issue will be settled, though simply paying up may encourage more of this behavior in the future.

2) Refuse to pay the bill, or pay only the part you feel is fair and necessary. At which time, mom's options come into play. She could either pay the remainder herself, and learn a valuable lesson about spending someone else's money without discussing the matter with them first, or she could ask the court to resolve the matter. If the court determines the difference between the standard frames and the ones chosen is insignificant, or that the benefit to the child warrants the increased cost, you'll probably have to pay, with a warning from the court regarding future transgressions.

Perhaps a discussion with mom is in order, along the lines of: "I don't agree with your decision about the glasses. I'm going to pay the bill just to keep the peace, but in the future I'd appreciate it if we made this kind of decision together, as I don't always have the extra money for name brand purchases. When expensive things are required for the child(ren), I need to plan my budget accordingly, and mutual discussion of the matter beforehand will help me do that."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">