• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Desperate Housewife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

orlandolady

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My husband told me he wants to divorce me. He is quite well off and we have a child together. He said I came into the marriage with nothing and I will leave with nothing. I actually did sign a prenuptial agreement 4 months AFTER the wedding. I always have to prove its not about money. In any event I told him I needed to get my car fixed, it has some kind of engine trouble, driveable, but I was told to have it fixed immediately. The repair for the car costs $1745 and I am not working right now. He told me he would pay, but when I asked him about a week ago for the money and he started an unrelated argument with me.
The problem is I took a personal check of his ( I don't have access to "his" money ) and I forged his name on the check and deposited it into my account so I can pay for the repairs. I have been since been told I could go to jail for this and I am worried this would affect custody issues.
Please Help!

Bali Hai

My husband told me he wants to divorce me. He is quite well off and we have a child together. He said I came into the marriage with nothing and I will leave with nothing. I actually did sign a prenuptial agreement 4 months AFTER the wedding. I always have to prove its not about money. In any event I told him I needed to get my car fixed, it has some kind of engine trouble, driveable, but I was told to have it fixed immediately. The repair for the car costs $1745 and I am not working right now. He told me he would pay, but when I asked him about a week ago for the money and he started an unrelated argument with me.
The problem is I took a personal check of his ( I don't have access to "his" money ) and I forged his name on the check and deposited it into my account so I can pay for the repairs. I have been since been told I could go to jail for this and I am worried this would affect custody issues.
Please Help!
Oh what a tangled webb we weave, when we practice to deceive.

LdiJ

Please Help!
You need a consult with a local attorney. Your situation is to complex to be getting your answers on an internet message forum.

mistoffolees

You need a consult with a local attorney. Your situation is to complex to be getting your answers on an internet message forum.
However, start with the cardinal rule. Do NOT take financial advice from your stbx. OP will be entitled to 1/2 of marital assets and 1/2 of marital debts (less the amount she stole by forging his name). She will probably NOT be leaving the marriage with nothing.

nextwife

She will probably NOT be leaving the marriage with nothing.
Considering we have no clue how much longer than four months this marriage is, there may not be any marital assets.

Example, in a one year marriage, all savings placed into the market may now be upside down. If they reside in a home he owned pre-maritally, the equity during the marriage may have gone in the wrong direction. The length of the marriage may be very important to answering whether the spouse may be likely to get anything beyond child support etc IF she gets primary custody.

mistoffolees

Considering we have no clue how much longer than four months this marriage is, there may not be any marital assets.

Example, in a one year marriage, all savings placed into the market may now be upside down. If they reside in a home he owned pre-maritally, the equity during the marriage may have gone in the wrong direction. The length of the marriage may be very important to answering whether the spouse may be likely to get anything beyond child support etc IF she gets primary custody.
Absolutely, but I would certainly not be getting that information from the stbx.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Please Help!
If he reports the forged check you can expect it to impact custody as you will be at risk fo going to jail. And if in jail, YOU will NOT have custody. Just because you are married does NOT mean that you are entitled to forge his name. Also the prenup was NOT a prenup if signed after the marriage. Most likely it would not be upheld however answer the following:
Did you have an attorney before you signed it?
Why did you sign it at that juncture? What did you get in exchange for giving up things in the prenup?

orlandolady

Thank you all for your input. We have been married for 2 and a half years. I signed the prenup after the wedding because he told me it would "prove" that I loved him for him. I have been trying to "prove" this every day since. I had nothing to gain by doing it and I never showed it to an attorney why?
I am worried that I am going to lose my daughter now and I am going to be on the street with nothing, that is what he says and I cant afford a consultation with a attorney because I dont have access to anything financial. His net value according to the prenup (signed postnup) was about 16 million dollars.

Bali Hai

Thank you all for your input. We have been married for 2 and a half years. I signed the prenup after the wedding because he told me it would "prove" that I loved him for him. I have been trying to "prove" this every day since. I had nothing to gain by doing it and I never showed it to an attorney why?
I am worried that I am going to lose my daughter now and I am going to be on the street with nothing, that is what he says and I cant afford a consultation with a attorney because I dont have access to anything financial. His net value according to the prenup (signed postnup) was about 16 million dollars.
My suggestion is to get out now and file for divorce. Do not committ anymore larceny or fraud and deal with your present criminal act.

How much more than the 16 million accumulated the past 2.5 years?

Did you know that the more money people aquire, the more eccentric they become? This guy sounds over the top from day one.

I'm wondering what other advisors will recommend as far as alimony in this case?

Proserpina

For 2 years? I wouldn't be asking for alimony at all; child support? absolutely. But not alimony. I'd be surprised if OP was awarded alimony at all, but she really does need to speak with an attorney regardless.

nextwife

Since most of his assets are probably worth LESS than 2 1/2 years ago, there may truly be NO maritally accrued assets.

mistoffolees

Since most of his assets are probably worth LESS than 2 1/2 years ago, there may truly be NO maritally accrued assets.
That depends a great deal.

She really needs to see an attorney. With his net worth, it is quite likely that an attorney would agree to petition the court to have him pay the legal expenses, so it may not cost her anything out of pocket.

orlandolady

thanks!
I took your advice. I did speak to an attorney, free consultation. He wants me to give him $5000 to get started, a retainer. My husbands worth has dropped a little I figure since the wedding and this attorney thinks because my husband bought out his partner after the marriage that I am entitled to 25% of his business??? I dont even want that much! this guy sounded like a money hungry jerk, he even told me he is going to charge me his "premium" rates, I asked him what that was and he said dont worry your soon-to-be husband will be paying the fees. This sucks!

Some Random Guy

this guy sounded like a money hungry jerk, he even told me he is going to charge me his "premium" rates, I asked him what that was and he said dont worry your soon-to-be husband will be paying the fees. This sucks!
1. You don't have to fire the first lawyer you meet.
2. If he isn't willing to tell you his fees because he expects you not to pay, then he should be willing to sign an agreement that you will NOT pay him anthing, regardless of whether the court agrees to have the husband pay the fees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">