• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Desperate Housewife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

thanks!
I took your advice. I did speak to an attorney, free consultation. He wants me to give him $5000 to get started, a retainer. My husbands worth has dropped a little I figure since the wedding and this attorney thinks because my husband bought out his partner after the marriage that I am entitled to 25% of his business??? I dont even want that much! this guy sounded like a money hungry jerk, he even told me he is going to charge me his "premium" rates, I asked him what that was and he said dont worry your soon-to-be husband will be paying the fees. This sucks!
While I am pretty sure that you shouldn't be hiring THAT attorney, you do need a somewhat cutthroat one. Your husband has enough money to hire the best attorneys, so you need one that will go the extra mile for you.

nextwife

thanks!
I took your advice. I did speak to an attorney, free consultation. He wants me to give him $5000 to get started, a retainer. My husbands worth has dropped a little I figure since the wedding and this attorney thinks because my husband bought out his partner after the marriage that I am entitled to 25% of his business??? I dont even want that much! this guy sounded like a money hungry jerk, he even told me he is going to charge me his "premium" rates, I asked him what that was and he said dont worry your soon-to-be husband will be paying the fees. This sucks!
Not necessarily. If he used premarital assets to buy the partner out, he still would have the business as a segregated asset.

kimberlywrites

Do you have a credit card that YOU are AUTHORIZED to use?
Do you have any credit history at all attached to your SSN? If not, there are credit cards out there you can apply for, for people who are trying to establish credit. If you do a Google search you will find all kinds of credit card offers. You can even apply on line (make sure it's a secure web site).
This would also be a great way to get a credit history started - because you will need to have that at some point as you move on with your life. And even though it feels overwhelming right now, you WILL move on to a BETTER life. So take steps now to get started.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">